Chapter 35

Kayden

''Man, what the fuck has my punching bag done to you?'' Joshua snickers.

I punch harder.

''Can you at least put on the gloves?'' he points his head to the boxing gear he's put behind the punching bags. ''I don't need Dominguez Senior coming for my head for injuring his golden boy's precious hands.''

I don't know why but his comment just pisses me off even more. ''Don't be a fucking dick.''

''Then don't be fucking stupid and put on some damn boxing gloves before this day ends with your hands in casts.''

I force myself to swallow the tight lump of anger down and wipe a hand over my sweaty forehead.

''Who pissed in your cheerios, anyway?''

Can he stop talking already?

''Shut up.''

''I love it when you get all sweet,'' he feigns a swoon.

''Joshua.''

''Deadass, though,'' his voice gets all serious. ''What the fuck is up with you?''

Isabella stricken face flashes through my mind and I take note of my fists balling on my sides.

I never thought I'd ever see her that way. I've seen her angry, ecstatic, even scared that one day with that motherfucker Scott. I've seen her dilated eyes, her slightly tense but sexy face when she's so turned on while trying to hide it, and her face flaring in irritation with a look that makes me shut my mouth without a signals needed.

But her face, swollen and red as if she was in pain? Pure hurt encompassing her expression, cracking my heart in tiny pieces? That wasn't something I was expecting to see when I walked up to her door. It made me sick to my fucking stomach to see her try and cover her afflicted face from me. 

I promised her that I'm not a violent guy, and I'm really not, but that doesn't mean I'd stop myself from hunting down whoever dared to put those tears on her face. I was so fucking tempted to go on a killing spree, my hands were itching for it.

Of course she didn't give anything up, either. That just pissed me off even more. I felt so useless, watching her so torn. She couldn't even tell me which movie we were watching, even if she tried. She was battling but keeping it all inside, and I don't know which one of us she was hurting more with that.

''Nothing is up with me.'' I grumble.

''I call bull.''

''I don't care.''

His tone is completely flat, almost bored as he asks, ''Fought with your girl?''

''No.''

He jerk cocks his head as if he's taunting me. ''Is that defensiveness I'm sensing?''

''No, you fucking idiot. We're not fighting.'' I whinge.

''Than what the fuck's got your thong wrapped around your balls?'' Markus, Joshua's older brother calls out. Fuck I forgot he was even here with us.

''Thongs are more of a Saturday thing for me.'' I toss back sarcastically since its Friday afternoon.

''Ha-ha.'' They clip at the exact same time, then eye each other while making a face because of it.

These two could be twins for all you know. It's not so much that they look alike, I mean they do. They're two exceedingly good-looking, dark caramel tinted curly guys- but there are a lot of other similarities like their personality that links them. They've always had a special bond that I would've been jealous of if I didn't have an amazing sibling as well.