Chapter Fourteen- Charlie.

~Chad's point of view~

~One month later~

I'm sitting at work on a Saturday. I'm thankful that I still have a job. Rick could have put me on the streets, but he didn't. I hurt someone he cares about. It could have been a whole lot worse. I could be on the streets with Charlie and not sitting here processing payroll.

I was determined that I wasn't going to be like my parents. I worked hard during high school and got a free ride to a local community college. I earned my degree in finance. I love numbers and always have.

I met Rick one night at an all-night diner. I was fresh out of high school, but I already had a body. I played football in school, so I kept up with it the best I could; he offered me a job, and I took it. I was an eighteen-year-old kid with a junkie for a mom and little brother with Down syndrome. We were living on the streets.

During my freshman year, A social worker from my school found me in class. She told me that our mother had overdosed and Charlie was going to be put in the foster care system.

I was going to school during the day and stripping at night to make ends meet. The social worker told me she would help me get custody of Charlie if I wanted it. I didn't think twice about it. I jumped on it, She made it clear we would need a solid place to live, so I went to Rick. I told him everything. I asked him to help. He gave me the money to buy the house, and I pay him back.

I knew I fucked up when it came to Echo. I knew how Rick felt about her. I was stupid and fucked everything up. I knew how Rick felt about Echo, but I knew how Echo felt about me. I had overheard Jade talking to one of the girls. I think it was Kelsea. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them.

Ian heard them too. He came up with the idea; I followed through. I wanted her; I wanted every part of her. I wanted her for the rest of my life; that wasn't part of the bet. So I made it terrible for her in purpose.

The next day I found a text that was sent to her from my phone. I didn't send it. Ian did. He thought she would go running to him. Instead, she married Blaze Kane and has started a family. A family that could have been mine if I hadn't been so stupid.

My phone rings. It's Charlie. I showed him how to call me; I am the only one he knows how to call. He is doesn't speak a lot of words; he is semi nonverbal.

~Phone conversation~

Chad: "What's up, Charlie?"

Charlie: Mama mmmm mmm Mama."

Chad: "Go get Blaze Kane. Stay on the phone with me and go get Blaze Kane."

I hear him moving. I haven't spoken to them in the four weeks they have been there. Charlie has made friends with them. They have welcomed him in. I hear their door open; then I hear her voice.

Echo: "What's wrong, Charlie?"

Charlie: "Mama... Blaze..."

I hear him hand her his phone.

Echo: "Chad?"

Chad: "I'm heading home. Have Blaze Kane go check on my mom please something isn't right."

I hear her tell him.

Echo: "I'll keep. Charlie here."

Chad: "Thank you."

~End conversation~

I called Rick to let him know why I just walked out. I can't lose my job. He assured me it was fine and he would meet me at my house.