SIX

"Shit!" I looked at my clock and shot to my feet, immediately panicking as I had to be at work in ten minutes and I wasn't even close to ready.

I flung my door open and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door shut and brushing my teeth as quickly as possible. I brushed my hair and rushed back out of the bathroom, putting on my coat, beanie, and boots over my work clothes.

I looked over at everyone still asleep on the couch and sighed, grabbing my keys and leaving them without saying goodbye. If they needed anything, Jenna would be there all day.

I practically ran to the restaurant, since the snow wasn't falling as bad.

I burst in and quickly started to pull my jacket off, but Nick stepped in front of me with his arms folded.

"Cassie, you're over a half an hour late," He said sternly. "This is the third time this month."

"I know, I'm so sorry—"

"Me too. You're fired."

I froze. "Wha...what?"

"I'm sorry. But I'm letting you go."

"Nick, I apologized, okay? I'll work double shifts, seven days a week, please—"

"You should go," He gestured to the door and I widened my eyes, but I didn't want to make a scene so I nodded and walked back out of the restaurant.

The snow was really coming down, but the last place I wanted to go was back home. So, shivering, I slowly started the long walk to the library.

I could see my own breath, so I desperately pulled the beanie further over my ears and wrapped my arms around myself.

It was so windy, I was having trouble walking. Tears fell from my eyes as I sat down on the sidewalk and leaned against a brick wall, and I decided the best thing to do would be to call Vik.

Even though I was freezing, I didn't want to go inside. The snow was beautiful, and I wanted to watch it fall.

"Hello?" Vik answered cheerfully. "It sucks you have to work on your birthday."

I bit back a sob, and my voice shook as I spoke. "I was fired."

He went quiet. "What?"

I nodded, even though he couldn't see me, and more tears fell from my eyes. I sniffled, both from the cold and from the crying. "Can you...um...can you pick me up?"

"Of course," He said softly. "Where are you?"

"I'm outside of WingStop."

He was quiet for another few seconds. "Cassie, it's snowing. What are you doing outside?"

"I don't feel like going inside."

"Cassie, go inside, you'll freeze."

I leaned my head back on the brick wall and hung up on him, not wanting to worry him. I was fine.

Sure, it would take time, but I'd be able to find another job. I'd probably have to work even more, but there was nothing I could do about that.

The wind made me slightly miserable and I pulled my legs close to myself, covering them with my jacket to keep warm. Vik was right. I should have gone inside. But I was too cold to move at that point, and I doubted he was far anyway.

As if on cue, his car quickly pulled up in front of me, and I could barely see through the tears as someone got out of the passenger seat and rushed over to me.