Your Car Breaks Down and This Girl Shows Up. You Still Calling For Help?

Sub Zero was a 1992 Honda NSX-R with a glossy, white finish and the original red, Kevlar Recaro seat upholstery. Bryan ripped the canvas sheet off of her and, as he circled around the back, he tossed the sheet aside on his way down the line of Vincent's cars. Maze followed him, heart racing as they closed in on Vincent's beloved Corvette.

Together, they grabbed the sheet and swung it up and over the hood and roof, revealing every inch of Vincent's prized possession.

They swapped Vincent's car for Scorpion in the same way a kid might stuff their bedsheets with pillows to trick their parents into thinking they hadn't, in fact, snuck out the window that night.

And then, they were off.

Maze pressed down on the clutch, easing off of the accelerator as she shifted gears. In the silence of the cabin, she could almost hear her own heart humming with the LT-1 engine. It felt more and more like an out-of-body experience as each turn she took after Bryan's brake lights. The streetlights warped over the long, sleek black hood of the Corvette as Maze's shaking hands readjusted on the wheel and clutch.

She hooked her hand under the wheel as she eased around the corner and merged onto the highway. It was on the outskirts of town, connecting them to their neighbor in the county on a long, silent stretch where Maze tested the power behind the LT-1.

On two lanes, she rolled up alongside Bryan. Maze grinned through the open passenger window, which showed Bryan's barely restrained smile in the driver's side of the NSX-R.

Declan's grandparents lived on the county's edge, which left the streetlights and civilization far behind. On dark roads, they cleared past bogs and distant country homes set far back from the roads until it was nothing but cornfields and forests to muffle the sound of Maze and Bryan on a single-lane road bolting at eighty mph (Maze would like to formally apologize to Vincent for deceiving him) to the meeting spot.

Bryan slowed, dropping back on the opposite lane until Maze slowed enough to drag behind Sub Zero. She followed Bryan's lead down the gravel driveway, which opened up after a long stretch of trees to a grassy clearing. There, they uncovered the squad for that night.

Maze parked her car alongside Bryan's and before she could even step out, Vincent's Corvette was already surrounded by her friends.

Bryan swatted Grace's hand off the hood immediately. "Watch it. It's my dad's car."

Grace paused, eyes darting up to Bryan's.

Her hair had grown out significantly since Maze last saw her. the evidence measured by thick black roots encroaching on bleached hair. Grace strode over and swung an arm around Brielle's shoulders, still staring at Bryan in shock.

"Dude, are you serious? This is Vincent's?" Grace said, pointing at the Corvette.

Maze grinned, gesturing to Bryan. "S'what he said, isn't it? Taking it for a spin tonight."

"Dude, I didn't think you'd even—I mean, it's cool that you're—You know," Grace said, gesturing wildly. Behind her, Josie slapped a hand over her face, thoroughly embarrassed.

Maze laughed nervously, glancing at everyone who was staring at her and staring at Bryan like Bryan was the worst influence in the world. She held her free hand up and gave it a little wave. "Well, I didn't wreck my hands street racing, that's for sure." Grace blinked, dumbfounded, before springing back into action with a vibrant, "Right! Yeah, of course."

"As long as you're okay with it," Declan's voice sounded behind her. She and Brielle looked between them, separating to make way for Declan. He was tall, taller than where Maze's cheeks were flushed from the attention. She was lucky it was dark out.