[Roger wants Brian to come] Back [so that they can] Chat [Some More]

Roger swept the floor of the clothing shop

Roger swept the floor of the clothing shop. His blond hair hung over his face and his big baby-blue eyes were narrowed in concentration. Roger's coworker and best friend Freddie helped a customer at the cash register. Freddie's shiny raven black hair was in the process of growing out and his big teeth protruded out of his mouth as he engaged in some small talk with their customer. He bid them a gracious farewell and a bell rang when the guest opened the door to leave. Freddie gave Roger a thumbs up and Roger smirked. Another quid was in their paycheck, which meant that Roger was closer to saving up for some new modifications for his car. A fine day at work, Roger thought to himself.

Freddie and Roger's used clothing shop was a hole in the wall in the middle of a London marketplace. It had brick walls on the inside and outside that allowed the cold air to creep in during the winter and the faint blowing breeze of the ceiling fans to escape during the summer. The shop was locally known for having striking and unique (some may say 'outlandish') pieces at an affordable price. Clothes were sorted by color rather than by style or by women's or men's, for the stockers knew that the line between women's and men's fashion was blurred. As per Freddie, there was always a small bowl filled with water outside the front door of the shop for any thirsty stray cat that may stop by.

After hours, the used clothing shop was the ideal place for Roger to study because his neighbors were too noisy with their unusual hoovering schedule and the university library was too distracting with its deafening silence. The sound level at the shop after dark was perfect with the soft grumble of passing cars smoothly drowning out any chatter outside the shop's windows.

I've got that stupid biology test coming up, Roger thought. He paused sweeping for a moment and thought about all he had to do. Read book, take notes, teach myself class that I am paying for, he thought, Ever so lovely is the life of a university student! 

Roger snapped out of his trance when the bell rang and a new customer walked in.

Freddie greeted them, "Welcome, darling! What can we do for you?"

Roger peeked his head around a clothing rack to get a better look at the costumer. The customer was a tall man with wild curly dark brown hair that fell all the way down to his shoulders. Roger glanced over the man's outfit threadbare pants and his plain t-shirt topped off with dirty white clogs. The customer turned around and revealed a bandage wrapped from his hand to his elbow on his left arm. Roger winced.

"Do you have any sweaters?" The man asked.

Freddie opened his mouth to respond but Roger beat him to it. "Yes, of course. Do you have a color in mind?" Roger asked.

"Any, really. But I would prefer a black one if you have it," the man said, "I fell asleep in my favourite one last night and woke up to find it ripped to pieces this morning."

Freddie coughed and Roger shot him a glare. "Right this way," Roger said as he pointed towards the back of the shop with his hand.

The man walked to the back of the room and Roger kept a respectful distance from him to avoid making him feel claustrophobic. He set up his broom against the back wall and pretended to be preoccupied by the red section. Freddie tapped a pen against the register to get Roger's attention. Roger turned around and Freddie nodded in the direction of the customer and wiggled his eyebrows.