𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

As I'm pulling my hairbrush through my hair, swearing in pain, I realize that the coat I need to complete my outfit... Is at Hatori's.

I can't go to his house because I still don't know what to say to him about the events of the other day. But I need that jacket, and I don't feel like changing.

"Dang it!" I mutter, slamming my hairbrush down and biting my lips. Could you have not made sure that you had everything you needed before getting dressed!

Wincing in fear, I shimmy the old backdoor of Hatori's house open, hoping he doesn't hear me. My plan, slip in and out.

In theory, going through the front door would have been easier, but he keeps that locked and I didn't bring my key. But the backdoor will do.

Quietly tip-toeing through the house I pause as I near his office, a child-like voice speaking from the other side of the wall.

"Ha'ri and Kana were going to get married, but..." The voice stops for a moment before continuing. "But Akito got angry. So, so angry. Said they weren't allowed to get married, he lashed out and injured Hari's eye. But you know what? Ha'ri never blamed Akito. As for Kana, she blamed herself. She said it was her fault he got hurt. She felt so guilty, she became depressed; like she would never happy again. Finally, Hari decided to erase Kana's memories"

Why is Momoji Soham saying this? It's like the answers I needed fell into my lap. But now I don't know what to do with this knowledge.

Someone clears their throat, breaking my trail of thought. I look up to see the glaring eyes of Hatori Sohma. "Yuihiso."

"Ha-Hatori."

"Is that Yui-chan?" Momoji asks coming to greet us.

"Yuihiso!" And Shigure is here too?

"I must be going! I just needed to get something." I shove past Hatori, catching his fiery gaze trailing me.

Grabbing my jacket I leave the house trying not to think about the words Momoji spoke and the reaction from Hatori. I knew I shouldn't have come.

"Wow! It's so great to get to see you again, Yuihiso! Feels like forever since we've hung out!" She gushes as we tread through the town.

"Sure has been a long time." I've avoided looking straight at her and her stupid face. She dared to grow her hair out long so now we look even more alike.

"I wanted to come to your mom's funeral but I was just so busy I couldn't make the time." Instead of focusing on Kana's blabbering, I think about wedding plans. Food, specifically, as that is the only thing about weddings I like.

"Ah! We're here!" Stopping my thoughts of yummy food, I am greeted by a large sign that says "The Jade Dragon, the best place in town for drinks that make you feel like royalty!"

"Kana, why are we getting drinks in the afternoon? It's only 1 PM." I blatantly say, disinterest tenting my tone.

"Because that's what girlfriends do! Besides the drinks are on me." She smiles from ear-to-ear. "Now come on! Mayuko may be waiting for us inside."

Upon entering the place I see a friend of Hank's walking out of the bathroom. "Oh! Hey Yuihiso! What brings you here?"

"Hello, Shinzu. What about you, what are you doing here?" I turn the subject focus from me to him.

"Hanako and I are here for our annual Saturday drinks. Didn't you know?" No, of course, I didn't know, I don't pay attention to Hanako's social life.

"Hanako's here?" Kana turns to me and Shinzu, stars in her eyes. "I should say hi to him!"

"Y'all should join us! Double the fun am I right?" He beams at the two of us.

"No-"

"That would be lovely! The more the merrier!" Kana I already hated you, you're just giving me a reason to hate you more.

"Hey, Hanako! Look who I met in the lobby!" Shinzu pulls open the sliding door to reveal my fiance smoking.

"Hanako!" Kana continues to beam like a small child.

"Oh, Kana. And Yuihiso." He, just like myself, is not amused with the current setup as Shinzu tells him we're joining.

"Now Yuihiso, you need to sit next to your fiance. And Kana you can sit next to me." Unwillingly I plop down next to him and he passes me his cigarette.

"You look like you could use it." He whispers as Kana and Shinzu loudly talk.

"As a medical professional, I shouldn't be smoking. However, I am in dire need of a lift-up." I take it from him, even though my greater conscious is yelling at me not to.

"So, Yuihiso, Hanako, must be exciting with the two of you getting married soon." Coughing comes from me and choking from Hanako, who had just taken a sip of his sake. "Even though this is an arranged matter, I always thought the two of you were meant for each other."

"I would rather stay single for the rest of my life and die alone than marry Hanako." Icily, I reply.

"Same goes for me." He lets out a loud cough at the end of his sentence.

"Aren't you excited to get married, Yuihiso?" Stupid puppy dog eyes, stupid innocent acting. "Surely at least the planning is exciting."

"It's fine." Just then the sliding opens again as Kana's friend enters.

"Mayu! You're here!" The woman scans the room, almost as if she expects someone else to be here.

"Sorry I'm late, Kana. My mom needed me to run an errand for her before I could come." She cautiously sits down next to Kana.

"Oh, Mayu, this is Yuihiso, my childhood friend, and the guy in the glasses is her fiance, Hanako." Kana points towards the two of us as I let out a puff of smoke. "And this man right here is Shinzu. He's Hanako's friend."

"What do you do for your job, Yuihiso?" Mayuko asks as Kana hands her a glass.

"I'm the assistant to the family doctor." Avoiding his name, I tell them. "There isn't much for someone who didn't complete medical school to do."

"You work with Dr. Hatori?" I can feel Hanako waiting for me to respond to Kana's question. What is there to say? I don't know how delicate her memory suppression is.

"Another Family Doctor." I bluff, hoping her idiocy will fall for the blatant lie.

"Oh, huh."

"What about you, Mayuko? What is your profession?" In the deepest pits of my stomach, I feel sick in the presence of Kana.