Chapter 14 - Ignoring the Alpha

Adelina's pov:

The next morning I woke up alone in my bedroom. The sun has already risen and rays of light illuminated the room with the colors of the dawn. Although I feel extremely happy I cannot remember how I got here. All I remember was that I fell asleep after me and Maximus made love last night.

Maybe he brought me here in the middle of the night and I thank him for that. If I continued to sleep on the couch, I would wake up feeling at least sore. My mind is flooded with memories of the previous night where his sweet caresses and kisses adorned my body. Everything was amazing! He was so tender, so gentle and caring! Oh my Goddess! I feel so happy, so complete! I never imagined that Maximus could make me so happy after all these months of coldness and indifference. I never imagined he would be so careful and kind to me.

What changed; Maybe he was going through a transition period. It was not easy for him to find his mate so unexpectedly. Maybe he couldn't handle the fact of how much I affected him. He was one of the most powerful Alphas after all.. But last night everything was different. For the first time he actually showed me his true feelings. IHe cared about me. Many times in the past I  discerned some kind of jealousy towards me from his side. And concerning the fact that he always wanted so desperately to control my life..... Red flags were everywhere....I just couldn't see them.
Marisa proved to be right when she told me that Maximus probably has feelings for me but he was not able to demonstrate them. Who knows? The only truth is that no one makes love in a caring way if they do not feel anything for their partner. He cared for me and treated me like a princess. That says a lot about the way he feels about me. He couldn't be pretending...Could he?

However I am a bit disappointed that he wasn't here when I woke up, but I know that being an Alpha is a very demanding job that keeps someone occupied 24/7.

When I saw the clock I got up quickly, did my daily routine and because I did not have time to have breakfast I headed straight to the hospital. I have not seen Maximus since yesterday and I have to admit that I miss him already. The day at work was very tiring and demanding.
I managed to return to my bedroom late at night completely tired. I took a quick shower and started drying my hair with a towel when I heard a knock on the door. I looked at my watch. It showed 22:30! Who could that time be? I stopped what I was doing and opened the door. One of Maximus' guards was waiting at my door. He told me that Maximus was waiting for me in his office. I got dressed as fast as I could and followed him to Maximus' office. In the meanwhile I met Jina in the hallway. She gave me a disapproval look which I ignored. She didn't look well....

-"What is she doing here?" my wolf wondered.

-"Maybe Maximus informed her about us and divorced her" I answered my wolf. "Oh my Goddess, my dream is finally coming true! I will be happy with my mate! Finally we will be together without any obstacles on our way! I will love him and he will love me back! I cannot be happier" I exclaimed in happiness filled with hopes.

I reached out of his office and knocked on the door happily. Maximus' hoarse voice was heard from inside telling me to come in, something I did. He sat behind his desk reviewing some documents. When I got in he raised his head and stared at me. His beautiful gray eyes scanned me upside down making me feel uncomfortable and shy. Those eyes looked at me with so much care and love yesterday! I looked back at him and gave him a wide toothy smile. He signaled me to approach, took a few steps closer to his office, sat in one of the armchairs and greeted him warmly.

-"Good evening Maximus! How was your day?" I told him smiling. I was really happy to see him. I have completely missed him all day! How weird the bond works..... After making love the connection between us intensified.