Chapter Two

"You're kidding, right?" Colby asked.

"Why else would I be drinking barefoot in a hotel bar?" Rebecca asked jokingly.

Colby let out a small laugh before getting back on subject.

"But arranged marriage.. That's still a thing?" Colby asked.

"Unfortunately.." Rebecca said as she took a sip of her scotch.

Colby examined her for a moment, realizing that there was much more to Rebecca than the fancy clothes she was wearing.

"Now it's your turn, cowboy. Tell me why you're staying at a five-star hotel when you look you can probably only afford a 3-star. You win the lottery or something?" Rebecca asked.

Colby let out a small laugh, not believing what he was hearing. Rebecca quickly realized she may have just offended the kind boy beside her.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! She exclaimed.

"No, it's okay." Colby tried to assure her.

"I'm really much more.. diplomatic." Rebecca continued to apologize. "This whole honesty thing is kind of taking over me."

"Honestly, it's okay." Colby told her. "I always appreciate honesty. Hell, that's the difference between a 3-star hotel and a place like this.. people tend to be more truthful and honest to themselves."

Rebecca thought over what he was telling her.

"You know.. those hotel's I can barely afford." Colby joked.

Rebecca now let out a small laugh herself, not believing how down to earth Colby was. Colby himself was starting to realize he was way out of his league with this girl. In that moment, the two new acquaintances both felt something they had never felt before. Neither knowing what it was, they assumed it was the alcohol.

"Well.. It was nice talking to you, Colby.. But I should probably get going." Rebecca said suddenly.

"Go? Already?" Colby asked.

"This was nice but my father probably already has a search party on it's way for me. It's best I get back home." Rebecca told him.

Colby couldn't hide the disappointment in his eyes as Rebecca began putting her shoes back on.

"Wait. Can I at least get your number?" Colby asked rather nervously.

Rebecca looked at him for a moment and took a deep breath.

"Trust me, I am not someone you want to get close to. You have no idea who I am." Rebecca tried to tell him.

"Well maybe I want to find out." Colby said with confidence.

Rebecca's eyes we caught by Colby's as his face filled with hopefulness. For a slight moment she wanted to give in, she wanted to be human, she wanted to choose something for herself. But Colby's innocence stopped her. He was too good of a person to get sucked into Rebecca's disastrous life.

"Colby.." Rebecca began to say as she leaned forward, bringing her lips to his ear and whispered. "If my father knew you were even speaking to me, he would kill you."

Colby's eyes filled with fear as he looked at Rebecca in disbelief. She gave an apologetic look before turning and walking towards the hotel exit. Colby continued to sit there in shock he watched Rebecca walk out of the hotel. Suddenly, without thinking, Colby got up and ran after her. Not thinking about the consequences, he made his way outside into the crowded Dublin street. Rebecca was gone. Colby looked all around but the mysterious woman he'd just met had vanished into thin air.