38| Threat

Chapter 38: Threat (Caden's POV)

I sat in the chair in front of him, both of us having a staring contest, unspoken of course. 

I lifted a brow and he blinked. I bit back a smile and just sat there, waiting for him to say something first. 

"I don't want you anywhere around my daughter," he said bluntly. 

"And I want nothing but to be around your daughter," I replied. 

He opened his mouth to say something but let out an agitated huff instead. "Don't you understand what the problem is here?" 

"Sir, if I did then I wouldn't be asking again and again." 

"The problem is your family. Your family and mine, both have lived by certain rules. Those rules can't be broken so easily just for you and Venus." 

"But don't you think this problem is being stretched out? And has been for far too long? My great grandfather killed your grandfather. Understandably, that means something to you. But does it have anything to do with me? Or Venus?" I sighed. "We didn't even know our great grandparents, how can we be angry at each other for something that they did so long ago? It makes no sense. How can I hate for something her great grandfather did? She didn't know him, I didn't know him. And just because she belongs to this family I have to hate her? No, that doesn't make sense." 

"It's not about who did what, it's about what we've been taught. Your grandparents and Vee's grandparents learned from your great grandparents. And your father and I were taught the same." 

"So you're teaching us the same thing? To humiliate each other, to belittle each other? Does that sound right, Mr. Tanner? And what if we grow up and decide that not just each other, we want to belittle everybody? What if Clarissa grows up to think it's okay to make fun of people because she's richer than them or because they aren't like her?" 

He watched me while I leaned forward in my chair. 

"No offense, but what the hell are you teaching your kids? And what the hell did my dad teach me? What is he teaching Axel? The same thing that you are. It's a miracle we don't think like you. I don't, Axel doesn't, Venus doesn't, and neither does Clarissa. The four of us don't hate each other. I'm in love with Venus, she's in love with me, and Axel and Clarissa are actually really great friends and they like each other a lot." 

Judging from his reaction, he didn't know that. 

"You're surprised that Venus and I have been sneaking around? Axel and Clarissa are together at school all day! Are you going to send Clarissa off to London too now? And Mrs. Cassidy?" 

His eyes narrowed down to slits. 

I cleared my throat, shifting in my seat. "She doesn't hate my mother, nor does my mother hate her. What are you going to do about that?" I leaned back in my chair, knowing damn well that I won this argument. "There's nothing you can do," I nodded. 

He lifted a brow at me sharply. 

"Because you don't get to decide who likes or loves who. And neither does my father." 

We sat in silence for a few minutes. 

"And excuse my language, but your threat is absolute bullshit," I scoffed. 

His glare hardened. 

"I'm going to forget that you're her father for a minute, just hear me out." 

He nodded his head upward, urging me to go on. 

"What are you doing with that threat? Sending her to London? Keeping her locked in the house? Sure, it will keep us away from each other, but do you really think she won't hate you for it? We're not little kids, Mr. Tanner. We have every right to choose who we love and who we don't. And if things don't work out between us, which they will. But if they don't, then at least she won't blame you. Our relationship is our business, none of your business," I shrugged.