08

I made it back to the castle without any further disturbances, though the thought of someone potentially eavesdropping didn't leave my mind. Not even by the time I got back to my dorm. — And not even by the time I left it again to get dinner.

The little vial clutched between my fingers in the pocket of my robes.

I didn't trust leaving it behind. Not only because of the potential prospect of being caught — because let's be honest, I didn't think anyone in my dorm gave a flying fuck about whether Dumbledore lived or died, and might even preferred the latter — but more so because it looked intriguing enough for Pansy to try and drink it.

I'd rather not have the gruesome death of one of my best friend's on my hands— better just to stick with the headmaster.

My eyes fell on him as soon as I entered the great hall; sitting there, expecting nothing as he chatted to McGonagall sat to his right; taking a sip out of the golden goblet in his hand before gently placing it on the table and focusing on the food in front of him.

I shook my head, diverting it as I approached the Slytherin table casually, eyes latching onto Pansy and Theo sat on the bench facing me.

"Thought you'd be sitting with Kai today— or just won't show up, at all," Pansy mentioned, mouth still full with roast potatoes; not that she minded. Only the people around her did.

Scrunching my nose up at the sight, I let myself fall onto the empty spot opposite them with a shrug. Only noticing Malfoy sit beside Theo afterwards.

Maybe I would've sat down elsewhere if I noticed beforehand.

I made a point out of sending him a vicious glare, not forgetting how I'd be stuck in detention next week because of no one but him. Though, it faltered when I watched his eyes flicker back and forth between me and something behind my back— his brows knitted together in concentration, not even noticing me looking at him.

Following his gaze and turning around discreetly, they fell on the brunette sat at the Ravenclaw table. The one my friends thought I had spent all day with.

When Kai noticed my eyes on him, his hand shot up to send me a quick wave, lips turning into a genuine smile before focusing back on the conversation he was holding beforehand. Seeing as he wasn't even looking, I didn't bother returning his gesture and simply turned back around.

Immediately feeling Malfoy's eyes burning into the side of my face. Eyes narrowed again, they flickered over to his in annoyance. "What?" I huffed, frustration prominent in my voice as I began shovelling a few roast potatoes onto my plate.

His eyes, previously on me, jumped over to Kai once more before a knowing smirk formed on his lips. Quirking an eyebrow, he leaned over the table just slightly before whispering in a low voice, "Don't lie to Pansy again. It'll break her little heart, Hayes," as he nodded his head towards Ravenclaw.

My brows knitted together tightly, eyes narrowing in confusion this time as I watched him casually lean back as if nothing had happened.

"What are you talking about?" My voice steady, acting as if nothing he said fazed me — when in reality, it really did — I played with the ends of my sleeves before slipping my hand into the pocket to gently clutch around the vial.

Maybe I should use it on him, instead.

Eyes wandering over to Theo and Pansy beside him, noticing the two were having a rather stimulating conversation about Snape's showering schedule, he continued.

"Listen, I don't know what you did today, but it definitely wasn't Alire." His eyes fell on Kai once more at the mention of his name.

Irritation prominent in my features and my voice, I let out a singular, humourless laugh. "Don't tell me you're following me now, Malfoy," I huffed, rolling my eyes and trying my best not to panic at the prospect of what he was suggesting.

Was it him who made that noise in the alley?

A scoff escaped his lips. "Don't flatter yourself," He said, a condescending tone in his voice that was so low, I was surprised I could even understand him over the noise in the hall. "I'm quite observant, is all."

And with that, he leaned back once again, swiftly ending the conversation by emerging himself in a different one.

I sighed, shaking my head in disbelieve at how painfully annoying the blonde was. There had to be something I could do about that, no?

Pouring the gravy over my otherwise filled plate, my eyes wandered over to the professor's table at the front of the hall again; eyes focused solely on the bearded man, a hand still embracing the vial in my pocket as I wondered when the best time to use it would be.

Now, perhaps?

"Adreanna—?" I drowned out the voice at first, not being able to divert my eyes and thoughts off him and his ever-approaching death. A laugh was heard then, and when Pansy called out my name a second time, this time amusement playing in her voice, I finally managed to turn back towards them. "You might want to calm down with the—"

She didn't have to finish her sentence as my eyes darted down to my plate, the gravy almost leaking off the sides of it. Cursing under my breath, I quickly placed the boat on the table again, only briefly noting how the almost empty vessel filled itself back up again.

My eyes quickly flickered over anyone sitting close to me — wondering who might've seen the disaster — when they rested on Malfoy. His gaze wasn't on me anymore but rather pointed right where mine was only a few seconds ago.

His brows knitted together, the boy seemingly deep in thought, his teeth absentmindedly digging into his lower lip, attention lingering on Dumbledore before it snapped back onto me.

He gave me a stern look, one that seemed like he could see right through me; look right into my head, and for a second, it almost intimidated me before I remembered who he was and that he could never have figured anything out.

Draco Malfoy was known for his looks, not for his critical thinking skills.

With another eye roll, I turned back to Pansy and Theo, giving them a silly grin.

"I knew you were into older guys, Anna— but Snape—" Theo laughed lowly, sarcasm prominent in his voice as he nudged my foot with his.

I snorted humorously, shaking my head at the suggestion as I threw a glance towards Snape.

"There's just something about that greasy hair—" I joked, both of them breaking into wide grins before dropping the subject. 

A/N: Snape yum 

Also Draco acting kinda sus its like... what does he know??? (Yes I'm acting like I don't know what's going to happen kjbhvgcf let me live) 

Penny for your thoughts? 

See you tomorrow. <3