Episode 7

Two hours later, I was on my way to the cafeteria from my last class when I passed Addie and her boyfriend, kissing at their locker. The two had always been extra affectionate which made those around them feel awkward and a little bit grossed out.

She had been dating Mark for over a year and had slowly stopped having time for me. We would make plans but then Mark had a different idea and Addie canceled to hang out with him. It was after a while that I stopped hanging out with the two girls after school.

What was the point if they only considered me to be a backup plan until something better came along?

I pretended to make myself busy as I passed by. They didn't even notice me and I didn't care.

I was getting closer to the cafeteria with every step when a familiar voice called my name.

"Hey, Astrid," Delilah called my name and smiled. People often referred to her as the girl version of Kai and Matt. She was popular but a definite troublemaker. Not in a bad way, though. The girl just didn't care what other people thought and knew how to fight her own battles. She was brave and I really admired that about her. But most of all, she was never mean to me.

"Hey there, Delilah," I said with a small, polite smile. Delilah was easily one of the most gorgeous girls in school and everybody wanted to be like her or at least be in her company. A few years ago, I used to have a crush on her which is what made me realize that I was bisexual and didn't really mind who I spent the rest of my life with. Happiness was most important. I didn't have a crush on her anymore, but a part of me was thankful to her for helping me realize that love didn't have to be tied to a specific gender.

"I heard about your accident yesterday," she spoke with a low voice, searching for something in her bag. "I came to make sure you're doing okay and to give you this."

"What is it?" I asked, surprised at the pile of papers she pulled.

"My notes from yesterday. I made an extra copy for you in case you were worried about missing anything," she told me.

I stared at her, taken aback. "I... thank you for being so considerate."

A knot in my stomach threatened to pull itself apart. There was a tug and I felt my eyes become hot, ready to start the waterworks. I didn't expect her to go through all this trouble, especially since we never exchanged more than a few words.

"Don't worry about it," she shrugged me off. "You saved my skin last year when I was in the hospital so this is the least I could do."

"I really appreciate it," I said. More than she knew.

I could see that she was becoming uncomfortable with the mushy-ness so she took a deep breath and grinned. "Well, it was nice seeing you. Have a good day."

Before I could wish her the same, she started to walk away, leaving me alone with the notes she handed me.

Shaking my head, I put the notes in my own bag and walked to the cafeteria to get some lunch. On today's menu were burgers and fries.

As I got my food, Diana called to me and I walked to her table and set down my tray. We ate in silence, her flicking through the pages of a magazine, occasionally showing me pictures and asking my opinion about whether she should buy it or not. Addie didn't show up which wasn't that shocking. What surprised me was that Diana didn't bother sitting with her other friends today.

"So," she started to say once I finished eating and she was done with her magazine. "What's the latest on you and Kai?"

"There's no me and Kai," I said to her, getting irritated for some reason.