14

As the footsteps got closer to the showers Amelia felt her heart in her throat, it was a mixture of the fact she had been crying and presumably looked like shit so she didn't want anybody to see and that it probably looked super suspicious if someone peeped their head in only to see Marcus and her hiding behind a wall.

"Thank you for talking to me" a boy's voice spoke out, a voice she could recognize immediately, Peter.

"No problemo," A girl's voice said with a laugh, Max.

Amelia's head turned towards Marcus with a facial expression that only could be read as — what the fuck?. There they were standing, high and drunk, hiding in the shower while her boyfriend and his sister stood outside of it, chatting.

"It's just, I feel like there's been something up with Amelia lately and I wondered if you know what's going on with her? She won't talk with me" Peter said awkwardly.

She could hear Max letting out a sigh, likely thinking of a response while all Amelia could do was stand there listening to a conversation about her.

"She isn't cheating is she?" He asked with worry in his voice.

That caused Amelia's breathing to completely stop up and anxiousness to take over her entire body. He hadn't been suspicious of that all along, has he?

"God, no! She would never do that" Max responded defensively. If only she knew.

"Then what is it? I can see there's something you aren't telling me" He continued impatiently, his feet tapping up and down in anticipation of the answer.

"Look, I think it can be something with her mom, I can't tell you much, and you should talk with her yourself but everything has been very messed up, you know since her father died last June" Max confessed weakly, her voice told her that she was slightly uncomfortable.

Amelia's eyes started to get all watery again as she listened to what Max had just said. She felt betrayed, and she felt angry and on top of that just sad. She wasn't supposed to tell that to anyone. Marcus caught on to her reaction and mimicked what she had done earlier to him to try and comfort him, he took a hold of her hand, squeezing it softly, his eyes glued onto her.

"What? Her father died?" Peter responded with shock in his voice, his feet tapping suddenly stopping up.

"Oh my god! You didn't know?" Max yelled out in panic as she started to pace back and forth. She had just realized she had royally fucked up.

"No"

"You know what, you should go" She breathed out abruptly as she sat down on the bench, putting her face in her hands and cursing herself out.

The next thing Amelia heard was a pair of footsteps walking away before the door opened and closed again. By now she was fully crying and all Marcus could do was watch and hold her hand because of the fact none of them could say a word.

As Max sat on the bench she suddenly saw a t-shirt laying beside her and she started to panic a bit more realizing someone had been there the entire time. Quickly, she noticed it was blue and it had to be one of the girls in her group who was in there.

"Who's in here?" As the footsteps grew closer, she had no choice but to get out or else she would see the both of them.

As she stood in front of her, Max's eyes widened at the sight of a crying Amelia and the fact she had been in there all along, listening to her conversation about her.

"Please, I can explain—" Max pleaded as she brushed right past her and headed towards the door, tears running down her cheeks.

"How could you?" Amelia yelled out as she turned around and walked straight up to her, looking at her friend with nothing but anger. She couldn't think straight at that moment, all her bad feelings had swollen her completely and utterly.

"I didn't know that you hadn't told him, I swear" Max responded guilty, backing slightly away.

"I don't care" She shook her head. She must have looked insane where she stood, her mascara smeared under her eyes, tears running down her cheeks, and anger dancing in her eyes.

She turned around again, staggering out of there without as much of a glance back at her.

"That was low of you" Marcus muttered out as he walked out of the shower which caused Max to jump slightly. As she looked at her brother he seemed just as pissed as she was.

"What were you doing in there?" She interrogated with furrowed eyebrows. Why didn't he come out earlier and why did he keep quiet for all that time.

"Amelia was bored so she came here to talk to me, that's all" He shrugged it off as he also headed for the door.

He didn't have time to stand there and chat with her when Amelia had wandered off alone, drunk, and now emotionally unstable. He had to find her before she did something she would regret later.