Chapter One Hundred and Twenty

"The shame" Fred wailed, dramatically falling back on to the bed, "Another prefect in the family"
George copied his twins actions, "How will we ever recover?"
"Shut up" I snorted, sitting next to Fred, "This'll be good for Ron and you know it. Try lay off on the teasing - for today at least"
Fred shot me a look of pure betrayal, "You're taking his side? You're my girlfriend! You should take my side!"
"And I will, after you realise this is the first time he's ever beaten Harry to anything in his life"
Lee made a considering noise, nudging George's side with his foot, "she has a point"
The twins seemed to consider these words, before sighing.
"Fine" George huffed, "but tomorrow there's no escape"
"Thank you"

Down in the basement Mrs. Weasley had hung a scarlet banner over the heavily laden dinner table, which read congratulations ron and hermione — new prefects. She was practically beaming with joy.
"I thought we'd have a little party, not a sit-down dinner," she told us, "Your father and Bill are on their way, Ron, I've sent them both owls and they're thrilled," she added, beaming.
Fred rolled his eyes next to me.
"Be nice" I murmured, elbowing his side slightly.
Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, and Kingsley Shacklebolt were already there, Mad-Eye Moody stomping in shortly after.
"Alastor! Good to see you" Molly smiled, "You have your drink. We're having a little bit of a celebration, actually. . . ." She gestured at the scarlet banner. "Fourth prefect in the family!" she said fondly, ruffling Ron's hair.
"Prefect, eh?" growled Moody, his normal eye on Ron and his magical eye swiveling around to gaze into the side of his head. Harry had the very uncomfortable feeling it was looking at him and moved away toward Sirius and Lupin.
"Well, congratulations," said Moody, still glaring at Ron with his normal eye, "authority figures always attract trouble, but I suppose Dumbledore thinks you can withstand most major jinxes or he wouldn't have appointed you. . . ."
Ron looked rather startled at this view of the matter but was saved the trouble of responding by the arrival of his father and eldest brother. Mrs. Weasley was in such a good mood she did not even complain that they had brought Mundungus with them too; he was wearing a long overcoat that seemed oddly lumpy in unlikely places and declined the offer to remove it and put it with Moody's traveling cloak.
"Well, I think a toast is in order," said Mr. Weasley, when everyone had a drink. He raised his goblet. "To Ron and Hermione, the new Gryffindor prefects!"
Ron and Hermione beamed as everyone drank to them and then applauded, Fred hooting extra loudly.
"What" he grinned, shrugging, "You said I should be supportive"
I laughed, taking a sip of my butterbeer "Prick"

Once everyone had settled into their own conversation, George tapped Lee's shoulder, gesturing to Mundungus in the corner of the room.
"Do you think he got it?" Lee whispered, as we walked over.
"With the state of his coat?" I replied, a small smile on my face, "I'd say definitely"
"Dung!" Fred grinned, "Do you have it?"
"Of course I have it" he replied, tucking himself even further into the corner of the room, "You got the money?"
Lee raised his eyebrow, leaning slightly into George, "what do you think we are?"
Mundungus huffed, taking the seeds out of his pocket and putting them in George's hand.
The conversation halted as Harry approached, Fred waving him over.
"It's okay," he told Mundungus, "we can trust Harry, he's our financial backer."
"Look what Dung's gotten us," said George, holding out his hand to Harry, "Venomous Tentacula seeds. We need them for the Skiving Snackboxes but they're a Class C Non-Tradeable Substance so we've been having a bit of trouble getting hold of them."
"Ten Galleons the lot, then, Dung?" said Fred.
"Wiv all the trouble I went to to get 'em?" said Mundungus, his saggy, bloodshot eyes stretching even wider. "I'm sorry, lads, but I'm not taking a Knut under twenty."
I snorted, "You're kidding"
"Dung likes his little joke," Fred said to Harry.
"Yeah, his best one so far has been six Sickles for a bag of knarl quills," said George.
"Be careful," Harry warned quietly.
"What?" said Fred. "Mum's busy cooing over Prefect Ron, we're okay."
"But Moody could have his eye on you," Harry pointed out. Mundungus looked nervously over his shoulder.
"Good point, that," he grunted. "All right, lads, ten it is, if you'll take 'em quick."
"Give us the rest while you're at it, Dung" I said, gesturing to the still-bulging pocket, "This is only half of what we asked for"
He frowned, looking at Lee who shrugged.
"You heard her"
"Cheers, Harry!" said Fred delightedly, when Mundungus had emptied his pockets into the twins' outstretched hands and scuttled off toward the food. "We'd better get these upstairs..."
"I'll go make sure your mum stays distracted" I smiled, pressing a kiss to Fred's cheek.
He just grinned, stealing a kiss from my lips before nudging my slightly with his hip, "This is why I love you"

"Yeah, yeah. Go put those away"