P R O L O G U E

S I X T E E N Y E A R S A G O

i love your lips when they're wet with wine

Chidinma blatantly stared at the affectionate couple seated opposite her in Gate 42, honey brown eyes filled with absolute curiosity. The noise and bustle of the busy Murtala Mohammed Airport filled her senses as her aunt attempted to rock her crying sister next to her. Her cousins, Adora and Chigozie, were playing a hand game of sorts, their young dark faces filled with concentration.

For her age, Chidinma was a smart nine-year-old. She knew the difference between right and wrong and how to salvage her emotions before they became tantrums. She was also raised in a household that detested tears and any connotative feelings. Instead of being good at having joy and peace, Chidinma had become quite good at hiding her fear.

and red with a wild desire;

Not because she was afraid of nothing, but because she was afraid of everything.

Chidinma's senses were drowning in the harsh noises, and the hairs on her neck constantly stood on end at the nearest instance of movement. She tried not to move her bruised wrists as she thought of her mother. How she sang softly to Chidinma, her native tongue soothing against the harsh sound of her father's breathing.

Suddenly, she felt her gaze water as emotion lodged in her thorax.

i love your eyes when the lovelight lies

If I see you cry there, you bastard, I will kill you and that your ashawo of a mother.

And suddenly, her tears drained away into hatred.

She removed the Barbie bag off her lap and placed it on the chair and approached the couple boldly. Most children, upon going through what she had in their houses, would revert to being very shy and reserved people. However, Chidinma had been the prey, the gazelle, the mouse, too many a time, and in front of others, she would rather be the predator, the lion, the cat.

Just like the stories her mother used to tell her.

"I like your ring," She announced to the slim woman, whose hairstyle reminded her of those young ushers she saw in church. The woman smiled at her kindly, and looked to her ring, then the man beside her, "It's very pretty,"

"Thank you, sweetheart," The woman replied, and the man beside her chuckled, throwing out in a proud joke.

"Make sure you marry rich so you can get it when you're older,"

Chidinma's brows furrowed in confusion, thinking of her father. Did people tell her mother the same thing? Did they tell her to marry rich too? Did they warn her that would be her downfall? But, Chidinma was not going to be like her mother, no matter how much she loved her.

Marriage will not be her downfall. Ever.

"I will not need to marry rich, I will be rich," Chidinma retorted snidely and the man's bushy brows flew up in shock. Then, he scoffed, muttering something like 'children of nowadays'.

lit with a passionate fire.

The woman observed a still Chidinma for a moment, then reached into her bag and pulled out a glossy magazine with a grin, "Here. This magazine has plenty pictures of rings. I don't need it anymore,"

Chidinma took the magazine gently, admiring the model on the cover in her white lace dress. The dress fit the model in all the right places and flared out into a beautiful ball gown. Like a real-life princess, she thought in amazement.

"Thank you," She croaked to the woman and moved back to her seat, gaze still on the magazine. She stroked the front cover gently, imagining herself in the dress and how perfect it would look.

How perfect it would all look.

poem by ella wheeler wilcox

N O W

"Dr. Deliano, the question was not if your husband killed Ms. Soliso, but if he is capable of murder," The district attorney questioned harshly, tone getting harder in frustration. Chidinma raised her cold gaze towards the slim blonde in front of her, and took a deep breath.

"Is Mr. Xante Deliano capable of murder?" The attorney repeated insistently, "And remember that you are under oath,"

Chidinma's cold brown eyes moved towards her husband seated confidently on the right side of the room. His suit bulged over his muscular frame, his light gray orbs glinting in amusement and his strong tattooed fingers drumming a tune on the wooden table. The bright flashes of the media filled the silence as Chidinma met her husband's gaze.

Am I capable of murder, mio regina? Answer the attorney.

She broke their gaze, hating his cocky tone as her jaw clenched, "Power is a drug," She began, turning to the curious jury, their insignificant faces swimming past her vision, "I will admit that Xante's desire for power is like an addiction and I don't know..."

Was she really about to do this? To admit this?

"I don't know if he will ever stop feeding it," As she said this, she turned towards Xante, watching as his grey orbs filled with sorrow, "But as for if he is capable of murder, yes. We all are."

Murmurs broke out in the room at her words, but Chidinma was not done, "But, as for the question of if he killed Soliso, the answer is no,"

"Why do you think that?" The attorney insisted, walking towards Chidinma, "You just admitted that he is capable of murder. What makes you so sure that he did not mutilate Angela Soliso and murder her gruesomely?"

Because I did.