53. foes

Passing Jackson another roll of gauze, I watched as he patched up Murphy's wounds. We had managed to subdue Emori with a sedative, and she was currently passed out on the bed as Echo secured the restraints around her wrists. 

"I'm getting used to patching you up, Murphy." Jackson announced, fastening the bandage around his wrist. 

My eyes flickered to Murphy's face. He looked tired, frustrated, hurt- all of the above. I mean anyone would if their girlfriend just tried to murder them. 

"I guess we now know what the restraints were for." Bellamy commented from where he sat on the end of the bed. 

"How long will she be out for?" Echo wondered, giving a final tug on the restraints to ensure they were tight enough. 

I stepped away from Murphy, making my way toward the rest of them. "The sedative in the tranq-stick should last about three hours."

"Okay, what about the mothership?" Miller questioned. "They're gonna think it's us, how are we going to warn them."

"We don't." Bellamy answered. "Radios don't work down here. For now, we worry about ourselves." He then looked to Murphy, concern in his eyes. "Murphy, are you okay?"

"His wounds are superficial." Jackson responded instead. "You're lucky." he added, giving Murphy a small nod.

Murphy face clouded over in anger. "I'm lucky?" he echoed. "I'm sorry is that your professional diagnosis? Because if so, you suck at being a doctor."

"Murphy--" Echo chastised. 

"What?" he snapped. "No. What? I'm dying to know what he thinks turned my girlfriend into the monster that just attacked me."

"It's all right here." Clarke explained, holding up the book from earlier. "'For two days, heaven is hell and friends become foes.'  Whatever is in the air affects people too."

"Why are the rest of us okay?" Miller challenged.

Clarke shook her head. "I don't know. But according to this, it comes from the plants."

"It's a children's book." Murphy argued. 

I turned to him with a challenging look. "Yeah. A children's book that's predicted everything that has happened so far."

"When we were running from the bugs, Emori went down in the brush." Clarke pointed out. "It's probably why she lost it first."

"First?" Echo repeated. 

"We're all breathing it in." Bellamy answered. 

Miller looked panicked as he spoke. "If it's the air out there, then we'll stay in here." He proposed, shedding his jacket and shoving it into the crack underneath the door. "We are gonna ride it out in here."

"That's a great plan, Miller." Murphy muttered, sarcasm dripping from his every word. "What happens when we're trapped in here and the rest of us lose our minds?"

"Murphy's right." Bellamy agreed as he pushed himself to his feet. "There's more restraints in the school. I'm guessing they're everywhere. We need to separate."

Echo nodded. "I'll stay with Emori."

The rest of us looked around, each of us increasingly on edge. It was clear that we were all terrified that we were about to kill each other....this was not the time to have pent up feeling and grudges, that was for sure. 

---

"Feel secure?" I wondered, looking up at Miller as I finished locking the restraint around his wrist before pocketing the key.