Part 8

When you got back to the villa, you immediately went to bed, completely wasted. You spent most of your last day in what was a paradise drinking on the beach.

The only time you go back to the villa was for another crate of cider. Throughout the day everyone had joined you, at one point or another, and was there to keep you company.

Well, all of them except for Matty, obviously.

The only time you see him is when you venture back for more drinks. You couldn't help yourself to sneak a glance at him, but you immediately wish you hadn't. You see that his neck is littered with dark purple bruises that definitely weren't the ones that you left.

You get yourself another pack of 4 ciders out of the fridge and slam it shut before stalking back outside. You return to the beach to let the alcohol elevate your pain.

You just wanted to feel numb.

Thankfully it did the trick and you just sat on the beach taking pictures of the ever-changing sea and sky. You took shots lying down and standing up and did just about everything to keep your mind distracted.

Avoidance was definitely your routine for defence mechanism and you really didn't have the energy to argue with Matty, not when you didn't know how you were meant to act with each other anyway.

Thankfully, your best friend was a photo whore and loved having her picture taken. Something you believe she somehow already knew when she became your best friend in college.

You'd definitely spent a good two hours dedicated to capturing the perfect 'slightly off guard' pictures of her.

You were so grateful to have her, she listened to everything you had to say, and you knew that she would be there to comfort you if and when you needed it. She always had a distraction planned out for you, and when she incorporated your photography into the distraction, she had your undivided attention for hours on end.

When you went inside to pack your suitcase up, you quite enjoyed the time back in your room alone. The packing gave you an excuse to try and get your life in order and overthink alone, without the others feeling the need to distract you.

You got everything packed away relatively quickly and just ended up shoving the polaroids of you and Matty into your camera bag before your chest started aching some more. You didn't want to let the events of last night tarnish what had been an awesome holiday.

When you come downstairs and had your final BBQ together, you found that Matty just seemed to talk to you like nothing had happened the whole trip. The flirting was still there, not that you encouraged or partook in it today, but it was like the whole of the holiday hadn't happened.

More specifically nothing had happened between the two of you.

And for the time being you were happy to play that game and just get on with each other to get home.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The flight home was an experience.

You were seated near Matty in first class and the proximity sort of forced you to interact with each other more than you would have liked. Everyone else had fallen asleep but because of both of your flying nerves, the silence and the lack of interaction around you was making the trip feel like hours longer than it should have been.

As the plane shuddered you held your breath and let out a big sigh when the turbulence stopped. You were stressed and kept bouncing your leg up and down and Matty had noticed. You could tell that he was on edge because he kept drumming his fingers against any surface available, which was getting on your nerves.