Chapter 1

Quick Note: Hi! I just wanted to remind you all that this story takes place straight after Unlocked! The story contains spoilers, so I *HIGHLY* suggest reading book 8.5, Unlocked, before this!

Everyone around Sophie was in Havenfield's main room. They were supposed to celebrating, and they were, but it didn't stop their faces from looking rather... tense. It had only been a few hours since Sophie got back from destroying one of the Neverseen's storehouses. Accompanied by Glimmer, Tam, Sandor, Flori and Bo, they had made a quick move by ransacking the almost abandoned storage closure. It ended up with Sophie, thanks to Glimmer's urging, destroying the storehouse and leaving her mark. It was her first move against the Neverseen, and it felt right when Sophie did it. When she replayed her tale to Grady, Mr. Forkle, and Tiergan, though, she realized that she made a risky move, officially making it war.

Sophie's eyes glanced around, seeing almost everyone involved with the whole Neverseen-mess there. All twelve councillors were conversing with Mr. Forkle, though from where Sophie was standing, their conversation was inaudible. Alden and Tiergan were talking. Grady, looking wary, was with Edaline. But there was also something else. His shoulders were slumped, his hand in his hair. He leaned in towards Edaline, whispering something in her ear, causing her to go pale. Sophie's stomach started to churn, wishing she didn't have to make things so complicated all the time. Her bodyguards, along with Woltzer and Lovise, were sweeping the grounds with security, since the Neverseen could technically attack her and all her friends at any given moment now that it was officially war. 

And finally, there were her friends. Tam, Linh, Dex, Biana, Fitz, and Wylie were there waiting for her, bombarding an annoyed Tam with questions about what happened. Her eyes searched among them for a familiar head with carefully disheveled blond hair, but her heart fell when she didn't spot him. She closed her eyes. Keefe must still be afraid. Not that she blamed him for it. She just... she really hoped she'd see him again. Especially now, when such a critical move had been made. But no such luck. Sophie opened her eyes to see Fitz staring at her, with his bright teal eyes looking into hers. 

You okay? he transmitted.

Yeah, she transmitted back. Just thinking about a few things.

Seems like theres a bit more to it than that, he questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Well, what do you expect? It's officially war against the Neverseen. I just compromised everyone's safety trying to stand up to them! she told him.

She bit her lip, wishing she could undo her actions. 

It's okay, Sophie. Really. We'll figure it out, Fitz transmitted.

There really wouldn't be anything to figure out if we didn't grab what we needed and leapt away, Sophie countered. It was nice of Fitz to try and put her at ease, but she was still mad at herself for acting so spontaneously. That was Keefe's job, and he did it best. If only he was here now...

Councillor Emery interrupted her thoughts by saying, "We'll be on our way now, Miss Foster. You've had a long day, and I suggest you rest now." The rest of the councillors stood behind him, nodding in unison. Only Oralie wasn't nodding, instead, she had a crease between her eyebrows, matching her worried look.  It made Sophie squirm, wondering what she was thinking. 

The rest of her friends, Alden and Della, and the Black Swan's collective followed suit as the council glittered away back to Eternalia, but not before Mr. Forkle said, "Don't worry, Sophie. Perhaps this was a necessary step in showing the Neverseen who they're dealing with."

With that, everyone took out their leaping crystals, only leaving Edaline and Grady with her. Grady still looked worried, in fact, now even more. Edaline put a soothing hand on his shoulder, looking equally nervous. Sophie was super concerned now,  asking, "What is it? What's wrong?" 

Her adoptive parents looked at her, with rueful smiles on their visage. "Nothing. I think it's time to go to bed, though," Edaline said, quietly. Sophie looked at Grady once more, before going upstairs to her room.