Chapter 8

Lillian's POV

Where is she?!....

It's two hours past twelve and she said she'd be back between the hours of eleven and twelve. I know it's the afternoon but still- she told me a time frame of when she'd be back and she isn't back.

I should've gone- but I know how much Stefani likes space. I may be military but she intimates me in ways I'm still mind boggled by.

The lock to the door clicks and I felt my heart stop for a second. I just wanted pray it's not k-

Stefani!

She came in with two bags of Victoria secret, kicks off her shoes at the door step and tossed the bags to the side like she didn't just go on a legitimate shopping spree.

She stood before me with a straight face but her eyes were anticipating.

"Go ahead, give me your worst," she crosses her arms and leans her head against the door waiting expectantly.

I instantly reached over to yank her arm towards me and bring her to a tight hug..

"Uh- ahem? You're squeezing- like really squeezing... Lillian?!" She voice is airy and somewhat raspy as her body remained stiffed throughout the embrace and I then held her by the shoulders to look in her eyes.

"Thank god you made it back home safely! I got worried when you weren't answering your phone. Kent would kill me if I let something happen to you on the first day of living together," I rambled on and Stefani remained silent, but attentive to my words.

I wasn't sure what she was expecting but I'm genuinely happy she's back- emphasis on safely.

"Are you hungry? I could order in Chick Fil A while you settle in and put up your new clothes. I ate earlier and assumed you've eaten as well... I'm sorry," I rambled on and she still had an expressionless look on her face.

"You're... not mad?" She raises a brow at me cautiously, almost smirking.

"No, I'm just relieved you're home safely," I assured her.

"I mean, you can yell at me. My dad would agree," she pushes and I giggled.

"I don't think it would address the importance of my concern any better," I explained and for a quick second, she looked a-loss of words.

"Right... I could go for a bite..." Stefani tries to pick up the conversation again.

"....but, if you have any leftovers from last night's chicken salad, that would be great too," she mumbled off after she picked her bags up and bolted to her bedroom.

I was taken aback that she wanted me to cook again, I almost didn't cook last night- I just took a chance. This is great progress in my book, I'm sure Kent will be glad. I won't tell him about the communication mishap while she was out. I'm a lady too and shopping can be time consuming.

Well, I tried not to dwell on it too much or else I'd burn the food just attempting to understand Kent's daughter.

I tied a black apron around my waist and made my way over to Stefani's door.

I was hesitant to knock on it; she could yell and tell me to go away- that's highly expected. But there's this chance that she could be considerate and let me in..

The door clicks open and my thoughts obliterated as me and her locked eyes.

"Uh- yes, phone... please? I won't tell Kent, just meet me half way here. I'm knew at this parenting thing. I'll give it b-"