11- happy one month

"GOOD MORNING!" My sister burst into my room. I opened my eyes slightly, squinting at the alarm clock next to me.

"It's 6 am, what are you doing?" I asked annoyed. I wanted to go back to sleep and continue the dream I was having.

"GET UP! IT'S A SPECIAL DAY TODAY!!"

I jolted up. "Is it mom's birthday?!" I gulped in horror, I hadn't bought anything!

"What... No" she chuckled and came closer to my bed. I lied back down relieved.

"It's been officially one month since we moved here!" She grabbed my hands and shook them smiling.

"Wow, only a month?" I sat back up, not believing what my sister said. For some reason it felt longer.

"What do you mean only a month?" She gave me a look. "It feels like yesterday we were packing our bags!"

"Yeah well, time flies when you're having fun" I smiled while getting up. My sister stood still looking at me.

"Is everything okay at school?" She looked at me worried.

"What? Yes! Of course it is, why would you ask?"

"You said time flies ... When you're having fun and..."

"Oh no, that's not what I meant. I mean like, I don't know, it kinda feels like I've always lived here. It doesn't feel so new anymore"

She gasped.

"HOW DARE YOU BETRAY OUR AMAZING HOME LAND!" She got up and grabbed my arms. A bit offended but mostly joking.

"WHAT? NEVER!!"

"SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM RIGHT NOW OR I'LL KICK YOU OUT OF THE HOUSE!"

"OH- I HUH-"

"Ah, I'm just kidding" she punched me softly before walking towards my bedroom door. "I'm glad you feel at home already. I wish I felt the same. I wish mom felt the same..." She closed the door with a sad smile.

I looked down. It was true that my mother wasn't the biggest fan of the change, but I didn't expect her to still be so uncomfortable here after one month. She refused to talk in French in the house and kept bringing up memories of the old house. My sister always joined her, telling stories about her old friends and how much she missed them. Meanwhile, me and my dad talked about our new lives and how much we're enjoying them... It felt a bit unfair.

It still didn't fit my head that it had been a month. It was crazy how in one month, I managed to have a full routine with stable friends. Sure, I wasn't in heaven with perfect grades and incredible self-esteem but I was satisfied. That is... I was satisfied with everything except Luka. I wanted so bad to hold his hand and walk around Paris. Hear him talk for hours on end...

I was really caught up on him. But I was at that stage of a crush where you're just excited that you feel all these emotions so you still haven't thought of the part of confessing and getting rejected. The feelings are all so new that you only focus on good stuff. The possibilities of a perfect future together.

"Y/n! Breakfast!" I heard my mom's voice from the kitchen. I looked at the clock again. It had been 20 minutes since my sister left my room, 20 minutes of pure day-dreaming of Luka. I was a lost cause for sure.

"Comin'!" I jumped out of bed and put some pijama pants on. I joined my family at the dinner table.

"No way!" I smiled looking at the table full of goodies. It looked like those fancy breakfasts from hotels, with every type of bread and tons of sweets to choose from. I sat down with them and gazed at everything, wondering what to eat first. Before I could pick up anything, my dad grabbed his fork and gently tapped it against a glass cup. We all looked at him. He cleared his throat and got up, holding the cup.