*[Chapter 35]*

---
On the cusp of victory, in a world so forlorn...
---

"Kaiser Rye! You and I are going to have a nice talk once this is over!"

"All right, all right! Just take a deep breath and-"

"No!"

I knew this day would come, but not like this. My water broke the night before, sending me into a panicked frenzy. Kaiser Rye brought me to an empty house Dr. Krume used as a makeshift hospital room. Dull curtains poorly shielded me from the public eye; the bed I was laying in creaked after every move. Haley was also in the room, acting as my midwife.

"It's okay. Everything's going to be fine," Rye whispered as he reached for my hand.

"Fine?!" I spat back. "I'm only seven and a half months pregnant! This is not supposed to happen now you halfwit!"

"I know it's a bit early and-"

"I don't want to hear it!"

My fist slammed him to the floor; his chair fell over and the entire room shook. Haley picked him up as he used his Arts to alleviate the pain. Dr. Krume was, surpisingly, undeterred by my action; he continued his medical duties. I ruffled the blanket, until it became a mess, and pouted from beneath it.

"Look on the bright side Talulah," Haley suggested. "You two are going to have a baby soon."

"I don't think that Rye will be a good father," I replied grumpily.

"Then why'd you marry him?"

"Long story."

We've been living in the abandoned nomadic city for a few more weeks. There was less vitriol between the Infected and the Guerrillas as time passed by. Kaiser Rye took my place as the leader of the Infected and his charisma grabbed their hearts easily, albeit his lack of it. 

In those past weeks, I've slowly grown accustomed to calling Rye my husband. When I did, Haley couldn't stop mocking me. My husband and I had numerous debates about what we wanted our child to be. We both expressed our wants and dissents, but we still couldn't reach a compromise, so we decided to wait for the day it arrives -but it would seem to soon.

"Soooo Talulah, do you have anything planned after you give birth?" The Sankta asked.

"No," I answered. Kaiser Rye went to my side and I buried myself in his arms. 

"Are you still going to make out with him every month?" She teased.

"I should cut your tongue off," I threatened; she taunted me by showing hers.

"I want to see you try."

"You little-"

Just when I was about to lash out at her, my husband patted my cheek, averting my fury towards him. I raised my head and yelled at him. I could feel my blood boiling, my skin crawling; such livid energy brewing inside my body at a time where I'm supposed to be calm and collected.  

"You can release all of your anger, after we're done okay?" Kaiser Rye asked as he caressed my cheek tenderly. 

"Grrr!!" I took my husband's hand and covered my mouth with it. A few tears escaped my eyes.

"Talulah... don't cry now. What's wrong?"

"This is all too sudden... The Infected, the army, now my pregnancy... I don't want to do this."

"You don't have to do this alone. You have me, Haley, and everyone else to help you.-"

Kaiser Rye held my hand and placed it on my womb.