twelve.

"Two Can Play This Game"

KINLEY ADAMS

And pain came with more pain.

I spent most nights tossing and turning in my bed, thinking to myself. My nights were restless but sometimes I didn't mind it. Being alone, it's addictive. And being in the dark, it was comforting. Why would I want to be asleep for that? I fancied being by myself. No one to push me around, no one to hurt me, no one to tell me what to do.

Just me.

Just my actions.

Just my thoughts.

I placed a vinyl on my record player and charmed it to play louder than usual to drain out the sound of yelling coming from down stairs. An hour passed, and then two.

Weirdly enough I found myself thinking about that blond prick. And the longer I listened to my music, the more I began to find pieces of him in every song that I listened to — how annoyingly accurate they became. Just the thought of his name gave me butterflies. I found myself constantly wondering how he was doing, what he was doing, and who he was with. There was a moment where I thought to write to him, but that vanished in a matter of seconds. It felt like there was so much to say yet nothing at all. Not to him.

I pulled the vinyl off the record and turned over in my bed — my head sinking deep into my pillow, blankets caving over me. The heat from my body swarmed the air pockets of my blankets, hugging me tight, providing me with a feeling of comfort — the only feeling of comfort I've felt in a while.

I lied there, drowning in my own thoughts, wondering what my father was yelling at me about, wondering what he meant when he said I was going to expose our family, wondering why he didn't want me to go back to Hogwarts.

I fucking hate this place, I thought to myself. I need to get the hell out of here.

Minutes later, Weebles flew back through the window with something in his beak and dropped what looked like a small scroll onto my lap. I immediately untied the string around it and opened it up knowing that it was from Harry;

Hello Kinley,

I am so sorry to hear about everything going on back home. I would ask you to stay at the burrow with the Weasley's, Hermione and me, but I don't think that would be the most brilliant idea after everything that had happened between you lot.

If you are heading back to Hogwarts I am more than happy to leave the burrow early to keep you some company. Then you can talk to me before anyone comes back to the castle. I'll be there the day after Christmas if that is okay. Ron says Mrs. Weasley wants me here Christmas morning so she can give me the Christmas sweater she knitted me. I hope that's okay.

I'll see you soon,
~ Harry

I figured if I was going to leave this house I might as well start packing now. I grabbed my luggage and began tossing in every article of clothing I had — starting with my robes and other important school items.

There was no way my parents, or at least my father, was going to let me leave the house so I had to find a way to leave without him noticing. Obviously he would realize I was gone eventually, but it would be easier for him to know where I was going after I actually left. The train to Hogwarts was not an option for transportation considering it was Christmas break, so I was in search for the time-activated portkey I had created.

"Where the hell is it?" I questioned myself as I searched through my room. Shit. If it's not in my room then it's obviously downstairs where I had left it when I first came home.