Friends - Old and New

Days blend together for a while, nothing standing out, nothing changing. The most eventful thing that happens is when, because I opted to sit with Tom, Abraxas joins. The worst sparks fly, clear disdain in their eyes for the other that always manages to disappear for any split moments either looks at me.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: Wake up, Breakfast in the Great Hall, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, lunch in the courtyard with the boys, Charms, then I'm out from fifth period to dinner. Reading or drawing seems to be an enjoyable pastime for me, although I have taken to an interruption in this schedule in recent times to have tea.

Friday I typically take time to study or to practice magic with Tom and/or Abraxas, although Tom's spells usually involve some form of dark magic disguised as DADA. Though not really a surprise, it is distressing considering how hard it can be to tear him away from it to do literally anything else.

Then there's Wednesday. Specifically Wednesday November sixth, I reunite with someone who meets me for the first time.

"Are there any books here that say something I actually need to know?"

A frustrated groan escapes from the isle in the library beside me. Bending down slightly to peer through the books I bend my neck to the side slightly, confused at the familiar, yet oddly strange voice.

Who?

Bending upwards from my position and standing up straight I quickly pace myself around the the other side where I see a young girl, most likely a first year, with her nose stuffed in a book.

"Are you looking for anything in particular? I might be able... to- uh-"

My voice slows to a halt, my mind shutting down for a moment.

"Well maybe. But only if you know how to find any information on a Sleeping Draught potion."

"Oh- I, well, yes, I do." I pause, attempting to regain my composure from the extreme shellshock I was experiencing. "What do you need to know?"

Perking up slightly the girl gets excited, clearly relieved at the words I've spoken.

"Really? Well excellent! Professor Slughorn gave us an assignment to go out and make our own potions and bring them to class. We all got to pick one so that each one was different and I landed on the Sleeping Draught. Unfortunately, I expected it to be a lot easier but unexpectedly I can't seem to get the potion to turn the colour it needs to be."

"What ingredients are you using?" I ask, curious and practically stifling a chuckle and the thought of such a strange occurrence. "It's either that or how you're trying to brew it."

"Well I know that much. I using four sprigs of lavender, six measures of standard ingredient mixed herbs, two blobs of flobberworm mucus, and three valerian sprigs."

"Well there's your issue right there! It's four valerian sprigs, not three."

"Four? Really? I could have sworn it was three..."

Giggling softly I smile at the girl.

"I'm positive," I start, "It's four."

"If you say so." Rummaging through her bags she pulls out six or seven books before rearranging them so the book she is holding also fits inside. "Stupid extension charm. I tried to cast it on my bag but it didn't make it as large as I wanted it too."

"Trust me, you will."

"You think?"

"Without a doubt. I can tell you're going to become one of the brightest witches in the world."