Chapter 32 Demand

Now, Xi Chen usually prided himself for being quick-witted but it seemed like his mind was slightly fuddled because of their earlier encounter so he ended up blurting, "Which one?", which he regretted instantly.

Ye An stared at the lieutenant before collecting herself. "Yes, it's understandable that you're confused. All of them, I guess. Me being a woman and.. Lee Han."

Appalled by his mistake, Xi Chen tried to redeem himself. "My apologies, Your Imperial Majesty. I didn't mean it that way. Of course, I wouldn't tell anyone."

Ye An raised an eyebrow. "Not even your friend, Ah Lin?"

"Not even him. Like I said before, I don't have a habit of sharing a secret that isn't mine to share."

"Well, that's certainly good to hear." Ye An uttered as she ate her food silently.

Xi Chen quickly changed the subject. "Will you be seeing the governess later?"

"Why would I do that?" To others, Ye An might seem composed. But Xi Chen could see that she was startled by the sudden question.

"It might not be my place to ask but are you going to pretend to be strangers with Governess Hsu from now on?" Xi Chen asked gently.

Ye An turned to look away before she quietly replied. "Of course not."

"My apologies for saying this, Your Imperial Majesty. But it certainly looks like it." Even though Xi Chen's words were blunt, they didn't sound offensive to Ye An because he never lost that gentleness in his tone.

"Don't you think Governess Hsu is the one avoiding me? Asking you to change my bandage instead of doing it herself?" Both of them reddened at the sudden reminder of what had happened earlier. But with steel in her eyes, Ye An continued. "And the way she didn't even check up on me once after what had happened yesterday certainly makes it look like she is the one who's avoiding me. Not the other way around."

Xi Chen's gaze softened. "Are you sure you won't avoid her if she didn't do it first?"

Ye An sighed and avoided eye contact with Xi Chen. "I just.. I need some time to process."

Xi Chen nodded. "Understandable. But I don't think you should put it off for too long."

There was a pause in the air as Ye An debated about that. She finally said, "Let's talk about something else."

"Alright." Xi Chen answered, trusting that Ye An would do what needs to be done in due time. In the meantime, they had another matter to attend to. "The Northerners returned to the North last night, but I believe Prince Adlai is still here."

"Oh, yes. I nearly forgot about him. He's still at the inn?"

"I believe so."

"Alone?"