(((3 Years Ago - Declaration of Love)))

(Second-year at Teikō)

When Ai first entered the Teikō Basketball Club, she admired Aomine. His genuine love for basketball, his friendly personality, and most of all, his bright smile when he played were all very attractive. However, it was obvious that he and Momoi had a special kind of relationship. She couldn't get in between them; it wasn't honorable in the least.

As they watched the team leave school one evening, Momoi sighed dreamily. "Tetsu-kun is so cool. Don't you think so, Ai-chan?"

"I suppose so." She paused before asking, "but I thought you were with Aomine-kun."

She laughed. "He's just a childhood friend, silly."

"Really?"

"Really. Why, do you like him?" She nudged her shoulder playfully.

"I ...It's not like that," Ai blushed.

Momoi was taken aback. Ai never sputtered. "Wow, ok." She shrugged. "I don't mind. I'll cheer you on, as long as you support me and Tetsu-kun!"

She smiled at her friend. "Of course."

"Besides," she continued, "you have the assets."
She glanced at her chest, subtly holding her own D-cup. (Translates roughly to a US size B/C.) "But, they're not likely to work on Tetsu-kun," she sighed.

"Your cheerful personality is the best asset you have."

They smiled at each other with their sparkling eyes in different hues of pink. If someone were to just compare their eyes, they would have probably thought of them to be sisters. They were definitely close like siblings.

.

However, as time passed, Aomine didn't seem to pay much attention to her. One day after practice, she was cleaning up in the gym after everyone else had left. Then, she heard footsteps on the flooring, and her keen senses reacted. Even Kuroko wasn't able to get past without her noticing.

"You're certainly hard working." It was Akashi's voice, and it echoed in the big, empty room. She turned around to see him coming closer with a towel hanging around his neck.

"Thank you, captain."

He stopped in front of her.

"Did you need something?"

"Akatsuki," he began, wearing a serious expression. "You like Aomine. Am I right?"

She didn't know why he was asking. Was dating not allowed? "A little." Her tone was soft, as if testing the waters.

That earned a smile. "A little, huh? Why? He's so rough and overzealous. A lady like you," he reached out and caught a strand of her black hair, "isn't fit for him."

She lowered her gaze, her face burning hot. "I..."

"Be with me."

Tentatively, she lifted her head back up. Her eyes met his capturing maroon ones.

"He's not fit for you. Be with me."

She stood, speechless.
It was just the two of them in the spacious gymnasium. His presence felt so big.

He exhaled a laugh. He kissed the lock of her hair between his fingers and left.

.

The next day, she arrived to practice as usual, but she found something left for her in her locker cubby. It was a red tulip on top of a note. It read:

From one shade of red to another,
With courtesy.

She held the flower delicately in her fingertips, staring at the clean handwriting. When she woke from her trance, she quickly found a container to fill with water.

The sender of the gift didn't particularly interact with her that day, but that night, Ai had obtained a slender single vase to hold her first present from a romantic interest. She placed it on her desk and researched the flower language for a red tulip. She couldn't recall the meaning off the top of her mind, and she couldn't put it past him to not consider it.

It meant "declaration of love".