11: The Spot

I swung my feet and glanced at Antonio from beside me.

"I still wanna know how you found this place..."

He glanced back at me. "I already told you. I wander a lot. I actually found this place a couple years ago, now I come almost every day. It's the perfect spot; to think, to be alone, to shout... it's sorta my escape, really."

"The spot," it rolled off my tongue perfectly. "I like it."

His lips twitched. "You know, I've never showed anyone this place before. Not Benny, not Romano..."

"Really?" I asked in surprise. "Why not?"

He shook his head, his messy hair moving with him. "Something about that sense of privacy. If they knew about it, then I'd have to share it with them. Then it wouldn't be my spot anymore. It'd be their's too."

I hummed thoughtfully. "True. So then why'd you bring me here?"

"You chose to come. You could've easily walked home if you wanted," he pointed out.

"True," I shrugged. "But I assumed we were going to a park or something."

"Would you have preferred that?" he asked.

I slowly shook my head. "Not a chance."

He smirked almost proudly. While I glanced at him, the golden sun accentuated his face. Though, staring at his face made me also notice the marks. There was a faint bruise next to his eye. And a thin cut on his lip.

"Antonio?" I began.

He hummed in response.

"I just have to ask. Why do you get in fights so often?" I softly questioned.

He stiffened at the question. The softness left his face, replaced by a bitter scowl.

"I can't explain it," said Antonio.

I crinkled my freckled nose in confusion. "Why not?"

There was a wistful look on his face.

"It's better you don't know, Flower."

I sighed, knowing I wasn't going to get a full answer from him. Lying down on the large stone, I shifted until I found a decent position. My curly hair lay about like a halo, and the golden sun kissed my caramel skin. Somehow, I fell asleep. This was an action I would come to deeply regret.

• • •

I was abruptly awoken when someone jolted me.

"Flower," Antonio raspingly voiced.

"Huh?" I muttered, shifting.

A stunned look graced me as I sat up.

"I–The sky!" I stammered. "It's nighttime!"

The sky was pitch black. Antonio grimly nodded, confirming that we'd indeed fallen asleep.

"How could you let this happen!" I said frantically, checking my phone.

"You fell asleep first," he childishly yelled back.

"True, but I'd rather blame you!" I exclaimed. "It's nearly midnight!"

He stared at me for a short bit.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" I screeched.

"Alright, sheesh," he rolled his eyes.

We began to run back, with him leading the way.

"You're grumpy when you wake up," he noted.

I couldn't even find it in me to respond. When we reached his motorcycle, he placed the helmet on for me as usual. With that, we were off.

"I'm so dead," I dreadfully moaned.

"Strict parents?" he asked over the roar of the engine.

Actually, they're dead.

"Something like that," I answered.

We rode in silence the rest of the way. Though, I wasn't calm like usual. Actually, I was rather nervous. Jo was mostly easygoing, but she still had rules set in place. I'd been missing for almost ten hours.

Minutes later, Antonio pulled to a stop in front of my house.

"Crap, the lights are still on. That means she's awake," I muttered nervously, hopping off the motorcycle.

"Good luck with your mom," Antonio grimaced for me.

There was a split second there. I could've easily corrected him. Perhaps said, my mom passed away a few years ago. Though, I only nodded at Antonio. Guilt pinched at me, but I wasn't at fault, right? He was the one assuming...

"Yeah, drive safe," I muttered offhandedly, handing him the helmet I'd been wearing.

His head snapped up in surprise. As if he'd never heard the sentence before. Then, a small smile fell across his face.

"See ya, Flower."

He placed on the helmet and only drove off once I was safely inside my house. With that, we separated, back into the real world. The escape was nice while it lasted.

The hallway was completely dark. I slowly took of my–Antonio's–leather jacket, kicking off my boots. I sighed in relief, creeping up the stairs and towards my room.

Maybe I'd spoken to soon, because when I reached my bedroom and turned on the lights, I suddenly jumped.

"Jo!" I shrieked. The hairs on my arms practically stood up.

She was seated on my window ledge, merely staring out the window. At my arrival, she eerily turned around. Her voice was quiet though demanding.

"Where were you, Rose?"

Uh oh.

• • •

happy easter! thank u so much for 1k reads omg i love each and every person reading this

QOTC: what's ur fav holiday?
AOTC: christmas i love it so much

love, emmanuela<3