surprise surprise

Kangmin could feel that something was amiss — not something ominous but rather like a surprise was looming around the corner. He first felt that way when the leader ushered them all into the living room, explaining that he wanted to do a vlive. Nothing was wrong with being excited to meet Verrers, but he was acting way too hyper and fidgety than he normally would be.

Plopping down on the soft chestnut brown sofa, he let his black eyes wander around, later settling them on Dongheon and watching him mess with the camera to turn on the vlive. The guy was trying very hard to suppress a grin, but eagle-eyed Kangmin already noticed it, his eyebrow raising at the oldest's suspicious behaviour.

Not even a few minutes into the vlive, a number of Verrers had already joined and the comment section was going up nonstop in an incomprehensible flurry of black and white. Kangmin leaned against the back of the sofa, listening attentively to the others' noisy chatter, occasionally speaking when asked a question or the topic interested him, but mostly when the older members teased him. They did that at least once every few minutes, or so it seemed to him, but he could not get himself to be angry at them — just mildly annoyed.

His attention wavered on everyone, depending on who was talking at the time, though mostly on Dongheon as he was still acting unusually nervous and thrilled about something. Kangmin attempted to guess what it was — a pet puppy? perhaps something like a day trip to the amusement park? or could it be a present of some sort? Peeking at Dongheon out of the corner of his eye, Kangmin secretly thought that Dongheon was as excited as a five-year-old who sneakily finished a whole jar of sweets all by himself and got an insane sugar rush right after.

It became even more apparent when an unexpected incident occurred. Gyehyeon had gotten up to go to the washroom about half an hour into the vlive, excusing himself shortly when the leader did a strange thing — grabbing the younger's hand frantically and holding him back with an insistent pull. Shaking his head, his words stumbled over each other as he tried to explain.

"Why can't I go to the toilet, hyung?" Gyehyeon's voice was becoming louder and fiercer. "You can't force me not to; I'm going whether you want me to or not!" An argument was about to break out between the two of them and it would have had Hoyoung not intervened.

"Stop being childish, you two. Let's continue the vlive."

After Dongheon and Gyehyeon almost fought, Kangmin could tell that everyone had caught on to the oldest's weird behaviour and were keeping an eye on him. Yeonho and Yongseung exchanged a short glance before turning to the leader once more, and Hoyoung kept looking at Dongheon as if making sure that he would not do anything irrational again. Reading some of the comments, he could see that even some Verrers had noticed how suspicious Dongheon was acting.

The vlive was going peaceful when a hand knocked on the entrance to the dormitory, disrupting their conversation. Dongheon immediately stood up — much too swiftly and almost as if he was expecting it — and went over to the door to open it, revealing not a staff member but someone else.

Someone they all recognised and missed dearly.

"Minchan hyung!" Kangmin was the first to recover from the shock and jumped up from the couch, running to give Minchan the biggest bear hug he could give, "You're back!" A smile was on his face, hanging from ear to ear, and his eyes shone like two bright stars amidst a dark night sky.

As Minchan hugged him back, the other members began to rush to his side as well, forming a noisy crowd around him. In the middle of the commotion, Dongheon grabbed the camera from its tripod on the coffee table and turned it around so that it was facing the members and showed what the excitement was about.

Kangmin wrapped his arms around Minchan's tightly and led him and the other members to the sofa, sitting beside him and leaning his head onto the older's shoulder. Minchan responded by putting his arm around Kangmin and began a little speech to the fans, ending with how glad he was to be back. While he was speaking, Kangmin clung to his arm tightly like a koala and did not let go even once. He was prepared to be as affectionate as possible to make up for the lost months while he was on hiatus.

Catching sight of Dongheon, though, he mischievously muttered "Dongheon hyung is a really bad actor, Minchan hyung. You should have seen him trying to hide this surprise from us." And then when the oldest pretended to go over to him, he quickly nuzzled his face into Minchan's chest to hide from the other, yelling a little as he did so.

Soon enough he was pulled onto Minchan's lap and his back was against the older's chest. Resting his head there, he propped himself straighter with one of his elbows and pecked Minchan lightly on the cheek, earning a shocked squeal from him just before Yeonho switched the camera off, signalling the end of the vlive.