Chapter 17

Just a warning, there will be some mention of blood and abuse in this chapter. Just thought I'd warn y'all if you can't read about that kinda thing. Hold on tight, cause this chapter is a doozy. 

I cracked my eyes open, wincing in pain as I examined my surroundings, noticing that I was positioned in the corner of a dark room. There was a faint light coming from a window, one too high up for it to be of any use for an escape, signifying that it was just past supper time. The room was completely void of anything other than me, a single table that was pressed up against one of the walls, and a tall door that was probably locked. 

"What if she's not awake yet?" I heard a voice ask from the other side of the door. 

"If she's not then we'll wake her," another voice replied. I could hear the noise of a key turning and the faint click as the door was unlocked. It was thrown open, flooding the room with light and temporarily blinding me. 

"Morning Sunshine," a voice belonging to one of the men who had kidnapped me said. Maybe if I don't say anything they'll go away, I thought wistfully. The larger of the two of them grabbed me by the shoulders and lifted me to my feet. He wrapped a rope tightly around my wrists, his gaze boring into me. So much for them going away. I nearly laughed out loud. That hit to the head must have done a lot of damage.

"We've got some questions ya need to answer girlie."

"Sorry, I's not very good at math," I coughed out, my voice raw from lack of hydration. 

"Yous best be watching your mouth, we're the ones in control here."

"Oh I'm sure yas are." He brought his hand up to hit me, but before it made contact with my cheek, the second man grabbed his arm.

"Not yet, Marcus. He told us to bring her unharmed."

"Was knocking me out part of that 'unharmed?'" I asked. The man, Marcus, growled at me.

"Shut ya mouth girl. Let's just go." He dragged me behind him, pulling me through the door and down an equally dark hallway. We passed two doors, both of which were shut, before reaching a large staircase. Marcus didn't falter as he made his way to the top of the stairs where a looming door greeted us. He rapped his knuckles against it and after receiving a shout from inside, he opened the door and shoved me in. 

I came face to face with none other than Snyder the Spider.

I probably should have said something, shown him that I wasn't afraid of him or what he could do to me, but I couldn't get past the overwhelming shock of seeing him in any other place than a jail cell. So I stood there, my mouth agape, in complete silence.

"Sit," he demanded, gesturing to one of the chairs that stood behind a desk. There was another chair across from it that he sat down in. When I made no move to do as he had commanded, Marcus pulled the chair back from the desk and thrust me into it. 

"Are we having tea? I didn't bring my nice clothes. Oh well," I shrugged.

"Far from it young lady." He pulled a file from out of a bag that sat on the floor beside him. "You have information I need, and you'll give me the answers I'm lookin' for." I didn't really know how to reply so I didn't.

"First question. Where is Mr. Jack Kelly?" Snyder asked. 

"In this current moment? Probably telling Crutchie about Santa Fe. Jack's always given that boy too much hope." The snapping of a whip behind me made me whirl around in my seat.

"Miss. Higgins, I'm not playing a game like you're so determined ta think I am. Answer the question and I'll let you leave with minor injuries. Continue on the path you're going down, and I can promise that things will be a lot less pretty." My gaze stayed fixated on the whip in Marcus' hand.