(((2 Years Ago - Dating Akashi)))

Ai eventually learned how to interact with Akashi. After the red tulip, they began to slowly become exceptionally close. Of course, of the team, Midorima was still his right hand and vice-captain. However, it became noticeable, even to the others, that they had at some point gained a new relationship.

Her first crush, Aomine, became distant and unhappy. While she was worried for him accordingly, it was no more than platonic, friendly concern. Besides, Momoi and Kuroko were closer to him than anyone. They would help him where she couldn't. Therefore, she let him go and gave into Akashi's affection.

During breaks in between practices, Akashi always went to her for a water bottle and towel. Although he maintained his almighty aura, he treated her differently somehow. He patted her arm in thanks before returning to practice, relinquished his bag under her watch and care, and stood next to her whenever he could. It was subtle but didn't go unnoticed by Momoi, who called it a woman's intuition.

"You're dating Akashi-kun?!" She grasped at her arm excitedly.

"Excuse me?"

"You! And Akashi-kun! I knew it! He likes you!" Someone was as giddy as ever.

Ai sighed, accepting the fact that she wasn't going to escape this. "I am, I think." She blushed. Admitting it out loud to another person was different from the unspoken actions with him.

"Ooh, tell me all about it! How did this happen? How is he? You're so lucky!"

"There's nothing to tell. You see it all. We're not that touchy."

Her friend stuck her bottom lip out. "What? You're no fun."

She shrugged.

After practice, Akashi would ask her to walk with him, chatting about small, trivial things.

"How are you today?" "Did you see Murasakibara snacking between classes?" "The weather is beautiful. I wish we could play outside."

She didn't mind the idle dialogue and always looked forward to him holding her hands before they parted for the day. He would take both of her hands in his, squeeze them securely, and let go with a lingering touch.
He'd always watch her as he stepped into the black vehicle and raise his hand to the window as he drove off. Every morning, he'd see her at practice and walk her to her class before going to his.

———

As soon as she learned of his interest in shōgi, Ai tried it for herself. She had difficulty remembering which piece could move where. So, whenever she played with him, she would always look up at him, confirming if her move was allowed. Akashi secretly loved it; her magenta eyes seeking approval were as adorable as a puppy's.

Akashi always won. Ai suspected that he sometimes tested her abilities and experimented by choosing a different move than the most efficient, but it was still hopeless. Ai didn't mind. She accepted her loss and the detailed critique that came afterward.
Akashi would applaud her for improving and even gave her advice during the games. She didn't ask for him to hold back. He never did. She respected that, and while it was humiliating at times, he didn't give up on her.

"Akashi-kun," she started to say one day.

"Call me Seijuro, Ai." He lined the pieces up for another match and reminded her again.

"Seijuro," she said carefully, "why do you play with me? Surely, I'm a boring and weak opponent, and you must have better things to do."

He looked up at her. "What could possibly be better than spending time together with you?"
He paused to watch her reaction, which was one of unexpectedness and blushing. Smirking, he added, "Playing shōgi allows me to see how you think and how you are feeling today."
Akashi finished setting up his side of the board. "For example, the other day when you thought you'd lost because I called checkmate. You didn't see that you still had a way out until I showed you." He chuckled. "It was when you were worried about finals."

"I apologize for not being as intelligent as you," she retorted sarcastically.

"You're plenty intelligent. You wouldn't be in Teikō if you weren't, and you have the international background." Ai understood that he was referring to her time abroad and advanced English skills. "Am I wrong?" He stared challengingly with a smile.

"No." She smiled back, but with a unique feminine grace.

He nodded and started the new game.

———

After some time, she was as far as invited over to his house. She got into the limousine that he had sent to pick her up at the station. It was a Sunday, and she'd dressed up a little for the occasion. The driver opened the door for her as she got in and drove to his mansion.

It was elaborate and set with a big yard for horseback riding. Akashi greeted her in the foyer when she arrived awestruck.

"Welcome, Ai. I hope the ride here wasn't bad."

"Not at all... It was fine..." She couldn't stop looking around at the sophisticated interior design. "Seijuro, this is..." she struggled to find the word, her mind groping for the right vocabulary. "...stunning."

He chuckled. "Come. I had the chef prepare us lunch."

Being treated like royalty, Ai enjoyed the gourmet meal with Akashi. After, she pleaded for a private violin concert. He agreed and led her to a lavishly furnished room with the instrument. He played Winter of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi for her, setting up the accompaniment on his phone. It was the first time she'd heard a live performance, and she was left breathless. Ai was also extremely glad that she sat on a chair with a backrest. Winter fit him perfectly; the vigorous and almost violent, fiery fast tempo of the first movement of the piece was as commanding as him.

Then, she met Yukimaru. Akashi led her to the stables, where there were several other horses that lived with Yukimaru. He explained that horses were creatures that herded together and enjoyed company.
Akashi introduced her to him, and the horse let her pet him.

"My favorite piece in shōgi is the horse (promoted bishop)," she confided, running a hand over his white coat.

"Really? Perhaps we can go riding someday," he suggested.

She beamed, and her eyes sparkled with joy. "Do you mean it? That'd be magical!"

Akashi nodded in response, pleased with knowing another way to make her happy.

When it was time to go back inside, she called out to the majestic animal, "Bye, Yukimaro."

"His name is Yukimaru," Akashi corrected.

"I know. I just think it's more suiting, don't you?" She walked on the lawn carefully in her kitten heels. "A Snow Prince for a red emperor." She smiled at her own reasoning.

"Hmm... Perhaps I should rename him." he thought out loud.

"Oh, please don't do that on my account. You must have had good reason to name him that."

He kept his eyes ahead as they walked back to the house together. "You are enough reason."

She her breath caught at his words and thanked him for opening the door with a blush.

At the end, he came to drop her off at the station in the evening. Akashi told her that he'll see her tomorrow at school. She thanked him again for having her over and wondered if she should have met his father.

***

Reference:

Yukimaru 雪丸 means snow circle.