The Price of War

"I'll be more useful on the front." Ali protested.

"No!" Percy held. "The Apollo cabin just lost their councilor. They need someone to lead them and you're the best with a bow."

"We both know I'm not a leader." She held.

Percy crossed his arms. "You may not think so, but I know that's not true."

She sighed. "Alright. But only because I know you won't change your mind."

Percy didn't acknowledge her joke, he just nodded and walked out of the room.

"Looks like someone finally came to his senses." The familiar voice made Ali growl.

She turned to face the smug-faced blonde kid leaning in the doorway. "What do you want Kane?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. Just enjoying the show."

Ali glared at him. "I can't believe you're related to any of your siblings. You act more like a Hermes kid."

He smirked. "That's a compliment."

She raised an eyebrow. "Luke is a Hermes kid."

He faltered. "Fair enough."

Ali grinned, but it was forced. She didn't get the same joy out of stumping him as she usually did. "If you'll excuse me." She strode out of the room. She needed to talk to someone who didn't hate her and who she didn't want to throttle.
                                    *   *   *
"At least you get to do something." Annabeth lay in a chase on the second level of the house.

"Yeah." Ali sighed.

Annabeth met her gaze. "Look. Percy's under a lot of pressure right now. It's hard enough for him to lead all of us." She sighed. "The last thing he needs is someone questioning his authority. Please, I know working with people is not your strong suit, but try... for him."

Ali nodded. "I saw the way he looked at you, the way he reacted when you got hurt. he cares about you. Like a lot."

Annabeth blushed. "I don't know."

Ali smirked sadly. "I can see it in his eyes. You have a better chance than I ever did."

Annabeth chuckled. "I'm not sure that's true, but thanks."

Ali drew in a long breath. "Anytime." She stared at the floor, fiddling with the end of her ponytail.

"I'm sorry." Annabeth tried. "I know this isn't easy for you and I never wanted it to go this way."

"Me neither." Ali seconded.

"Ali." A boy with blonde hair and blue eyes poked his head through the door. He had a satchel slung over his shoulder. "It's time to go."

She nodded and faced Annabeth. "Wish me luck."

Annabeth smiled. "This sounds wrong, but... don't finish this without me."

Ali smiled, a real smile. "Wouldn't dream of it."
* * *
Ali released a flaming silver arrow. It arched through the air, impaling a Laistrygonian through the chest. I massive cloud of glitter plumed over the battlefield.

Kronos and his army had made some headway, encroaching on the city.

The campers fought back with everything they had, but it wasn't enough.

Ali took a deep breath. All they had to do was hold them off until sunrise. Then they could rest, resupply, and reconfigure their strategy. Just a few more hours. That's all they needed. A few hours.

She wanted to believe they could do it, but the campers were looking pretty drained. Three days of sleepless nights and incessant battles would do that to a person.

Ali noticed Percy among the chaos, leading the charge without fear. He was surrounded, in the thick of the battle. She knew he couldn't be injured, but the sight terrified her. He wasn't invulnerable. She spun and locked eyes with Kane West. "Don't let up! You have to hold them back!"

"Where are you going?!" He had to shout to be heard over the clamor.

She turned back to see Percy. "To keep our reckless leader alive." She jumped down from the car she'd been standing on and charged into battle.
                                  *   *   *
Percy turned right as a sword burst through the dracanae's chest. Ghostly flames licked across it's blade as the monster exploded into gritty golden dust.

Ali stood behind it, sword in hand. Her yes burned silver.

"What are you doing?" He snapped. "I told you to stay with the archers."

"They can handle themselves." She protested. "But you can't fight an army alone."

"I'll be fine." He slashed through a hellhound. "Go back."

"No." She pulled him out of the way and drove her sword through a lunging monster. "We started this together, that's how we're ending it." She met his cold gaze and noticed a spark of concern among the anger.

Something roared among the crowd of monsters and a Laistrygonian ripped a support from the nearby bridge. The steel girder was almost twice the height of the giant with sharp twisted ends.

"Oh gods." Ali stared up as the giant hefted the deadly scrap of metal.

"Everybody get down!" Percy screamed over the chaos as the Lastrygonian hurled the girder across the field. Percy tackled Ali to the ground, shielding her with his body.

A shower of dirt, stones, and rubble rained down on them.

Someone screamed.

Ali jumped to her feet and surveyed the damage. Kids rose from the ground and a massive trench had been dug through the middle of them, like a scar on the earth. The huge girder stuck out of the ground at an angle like abstract art. The campers were cut up and shaken, but not fatally wounded.

Ali noticed a small group congregated by the base of the girder. She dashed over, snatching a fallen med bag from the ground as she ran. She found one of the Hephaestus kids lying on the ground. The sharp fringes of the girder had sliced clean through her right leg.

She turned to Kane West, who was gawking at the scene. "Get the Apollo cabin, now!" She addressed the rest of the gathered campers. "The rest of you! Hold back the monsters! We can't let them get into the city!"

The half-bloods scattered, leaving Ali alone with the injured teen. He was smaller than his siblings, no older than 14, with shaggy black hair and dark skin. He gripped the grass so tight his knuckles were white. His jaw was clenched and quivering.

"This is gonna sting." Ali warned as she popped the cork on a canteen she'd found in the bag.

As she emptied the liquid onto his leg, the boy tensed and screamed.

Soon after, two or three Apollo kids came racing over and took charge, wrapping his stump of a leg and hauling him away.

About an hour later, the sun rose. They'd done it. They'd survived another night. Ali scanned the field for anymore wounded campers. She sighed in relief when she didn't spot any. They'd gotten lucky. This time.

A/N
Streaks!!! 4 days in a row. Wohoo!