chapter one

Susie Wheeler was a menace. No matter what anyone told her, all she cared about was what she thought. In fact, she was much like her twin sister, Nancy, with the exception that she was still nothing like her at the same time.

She was surprised when she managed to graduate high school. She barely passed any of her classes, her teachers hated her, and no colleges accepted her. Her only option was a minimum wage job in a cramped ice cream shop.

To add to the misery, she had to work alongside her sister's ex-boyfriend. It was no secret that Steve Harrington and Susie Wheeler had a 'hate hate' relationship.

Nancy's tried forever to convince Susie that he's not as bad as she thought, but Susie holds grudges. Ever since the beginning of high school, up until their graduation, they just never got along.

On the other hand, Susie also worked with another girl who she didn't mind being around at all. Robin Buckley shared many opinions with Susie. They enjoyed each other's company.

It was quite a rainy summer day in Hawkins Indiana. Susie had no ride to Starcourt Mall. Her bus card expired, she had no money to buy a ticket, her mother was at the pool, her father was sleeping (it was an important rule to never wake Ted Wheeler from one of his naps), and Nancy was at work.

Susie was stuck with her old bike, which could barely ride straight. It was a miracle she made it through that storm. She checked the time on her watch.

"Fuck."

She was late. She ran up the escalators, soaked head to toe. People gave her dirty stares. The water coming from her coat rubbed against the crowd of people.

When she arrived, there were two girls at the cash register. Steve seemed to be hitting on the girl in a Purdue sweatshirt. Susie stopped at the counter, earning more dirty looks from the girl beside her, who had just gotten her hair wet.

"Harrington, quit hitting on the customers. That's not why they pay us." She nagged. The two girls grimaced in her direction. She smiled innocently towards them.

"We're just.. we're gonna go now." Stated the customer. 

"No.. wait—" Steve watched them leave with a frown. He sighed.

Susie huffed. She began her way to the back, but her wrist was quickly grabbed by Steve. "What the hell is wrong with you?" He exasperated.

"Nothing." She shrugged. 

"God, your arm is so wet." He groused, releasing her wrist.

 "It's raining out." She prattled.

"This is the fifth time you've been late." He rolled his eyes, fed up with her chatter. 

"And what are you gonna do about it?" She provoked.

"Well, I don't know... I could report you... for scaring away our customers." He threatened.

"I think that's all you, dingus." Spoke Robin as she opened up the back windows. Steve rolled his eyes. "It's this stupid hat. I'm telling you, it is totally blowing my best feature." He argued.

"Yeah, company policy is a real drag." Robin leant forward. "You know, it's a crazy idea, but have you considered... telling the truth?"

"Oh, you mean, that I couldn't even get into Tech and my douchebag dad's trying to teach me a lesson, I make three bucks an hour and I have no future? That truth?" Steve grumbled.