2-No Turning Back

"Why is everyone staring?" I whispered to the man who still has yet to give me a name. We walked through the sandy plains and almost everyone was looking at us; although they were trying to be discreet about it, but it was obvious.

He let out a muffled chuckled due to his mask as I followed his quick pace, "You really have no idea who I am, do you?" I shook my head in response, "Hm, it seems Watto really kept you locked away from the galaxy."

I sighed with an eye roll, "That's a bit of an understatement. He took my TV from me and I wasn't allowed to read any of the papers. Everything I know is from the conversations I've overheard from pilots, which still wasn't much. Also there was talk with some other slaves, but they know just as little as I do. Sometimes it feels like this is the only planet in the galaxy, I know hardly anything outside of here." I shrugged as I kept walking and my feet kicked the sand infront of me; creating a brown cloud ahead. Gods I hate sand, "Are you going to tell me who you are?" I looked up to him, but I could hardly see much with his hood and mask on.

"We'll get to that, but for now; is there anything you need before we leave?" He asked as he turned his head slightly to look down at me with those unnatural amber eyes, I wanted to ask why they were that color. I wanted to ask him a lot of things actually, I have so many questions.

I thought for a moment before nodding up at him, "Yes, but it's at my house," If it can even be called that, "It's something that holds personal value."

He turned away and looked straight ahead of us, "Very well, lead the way."

~*~•~*~

We arrived at the small community of slaves homes and I walked up to my door, "That one is yours?" He asked with a tone that held a hint of surprise.

I turned around to nod at him, "Yes, do you want to come in?" I gestured to the door with one hand.

He shook his head as he folded his arms over his chest, "No, I'd rather wait here, try not to take long."

I nodded to him before opening the door and stepping inside, I sighed as I looked around the small living room. I was finally leaving, but I held a small pang of guilt. There were a lot of good people here who deserved to free too.

I'll come back and free then one day, they don't deserve this life, no one does.

I walked into my bedroom and grabbed the necklace that was given to me by Shmi that I left on the nightstand. I never wore it when I was with Watto, he didn't like me having any kind of personal items. I swear, he made it his mission to make me feel like I wasn't a person, he considered us slaves as bugs.

He deserved whatever that man did to him, I smiled at the dark thought. I shouldn't be enjoying thoughts like that, but he made my life hell, so I hope hell is where he is burning.

I went to leave the room, but not before looking at the carved drawings on the wall one more time. I ran my fingers along them, I'd miss looking at them, they always brought me a sense of comfort, "What are you doing?"

"Fuck." I jumped and dropped the necklace onto the bed. I brought my hand to my chest to calm my heavily beating heart when I gazed up to meet the eyes of the man again, "I thought you were gonna wait outside."

He shrugged as he walked near me and picked up the necklace from the bed, "You were taking long." He responded as brought it up to eyes; his gloved fingers gently touched the wooden charm, "Where did you get this?" He questioned, his eyes shifting from the charm to meet mine again.

"A woman who used to live here with me, Shmi," I reached forward for the necklace and he placed it gently in my hand, his eyes held a look that I couldn't quite place, "She said her son gave it to her, but when she was sold by Watto, she gave it to me," I sighed as I placed it around my neck, "She said to consider it my beacon of hope, that I would one day be freed, just as he was."