17.

000d, 00h, 00m, 00s

I should tell them.

I had to tell them.

I didn't tell them.

Fast-paced, my feet carrying me towards the exit seemingly all by themselves, I couldn't stop my thoughts from wandering back to that meeting this morning.

My breath, as well as my pace, picked up at the memory all by itself, wanting nothing more than to get away from watchful eyes that might know what's really going on in my life.

Because the truth was I haven't seen, never mind spoken to my soulmate in over a month — I didn't even regret it— when we did speak, we didn't get along at all because he doesn't even believe in soulmates; therefore, supporting the Razer's and standing for everything I didn't, and even more so couldn't tolerate.

Pushing through the security gate with nothing but a fleeting glance towards Eddie, I headed for the doors. Taking one last look over my shoulder to watch the bustling entrance hall full of unfamiliar faces I wouldn't even recognise tomorrow.

Head still turned to watch them curiously, I continued walking through the automatic doors out onto the only respectively less busy streets of Arcan City.

The sun was bright today; the white of the surrounding buildings reflecting the light and making me squint my eyes shut almost completely as I navigated through the small groups of people usually stood in front of the Headquarter.

"Eyes up front, chérie." Two hands on each of my shoulder keeping me from running straight into them, my eyes — still squinting — shot up to be met with blue ones.

Startled, my brows knitted together tightly. "Arley?" I wondered out loud, scanning the blonde from head to toe to double-check. I knew I didn't have to, in order to recognise him— his face was distinctive enough to know it was him.

Though the encounter was so unexpected, I couldn't help it.

What was he doing here?

As if he read my mind, he answered the question I didn't even ask yet.

"I'm here to pick you up," He announced proudly, a grin on his lips though his eyes intently focused on something behind me. The smile seemed to fade off his face ever so slowly, the corners of his mouth almost turning his lips into a straight line.

However, before they quite reached that point, his eyes snapped back onto mine, his mouth twitched into a smile again, and he dragged me along with him before I had the chance to look back.

When I did try to turn around to see what exactly was so interesting, he quickly put his hand on my back to push me further with a low laugh.

"Pick me up?" I asked, instead, coming to the conclusion he just zoned out back then. It happens to me, sometimes.

"Pick you up," He clarified with another laugh. "You know, like friends do when they want to hang out?" He joked lightly, his pace slowing down as he led the way, and I blindly followed, not even paying attention to my surroundings.

"Friends?" I asked once more, hoping for a clarification similar to the last one.

"Okay, ouch," He huffed, rolling his eyes before ruffling through the blond mess on his head once. "Well, I certainly enjoyed your company— I forgot how dull Esmond and his sister really are, now that I've talked to someone else for the first time in probably months," he shrugged, eyeing me curiously to observe my reaction.

I let out a small chuckle myself, nodding in agreement to his words. "Alright, well, I enjoyed your company as well, so I assume I'll let you kidnap me." Biting back a grin, I kept my gaze straight ahead, trying to recognise where we were and immediately after realising that every street looked about the same.

"Kidnapping? Please," He snorted, shaking his head vigorously in amusement.

Too engaged in the developed conversation, I hardly noticed us approaching Arcan City's outskirts once more, only doing so once we passed Wallflour's.

Brows lifting in recognition of the metallic sign, my eyes darted over to him casually strolling beside me. "Are we going to your place?" I asked suddenly, interrupting him without really meaning to.

"Where else would we be going?" He wondered out loud, interest lacing his voice like he genuinely didn't know any other place.

"Well—" I began, cutting myself off with a sigh at the thought of Esmond. "I don't know if that's such a good idea," I admitted, the words immediately making him stop in his tracks. By default, I came to a halt, as well.

"Oh—" He mouthed silently, eyes widening. "I'm sorry, are you uncomfortable? I didn't mean to—"

"What?" I quickly interrupted what would've only ended in messy rambling, anyway. "Uncomfortable? Of course not." I shook my head. "Just the last time Esmond and I saw each other; we didn't really end things on good terms," I almost mumbled, eyes darted mostly towards the ground.

At that, Arley scoffed. "You've never really been on good terms before," He pointed out with a shrug before continuing his leisurely pace towards his home.

Catching up with him, I let out a singular in agreement. "That you can say," I agreed with a nod. "What's his deal, then?"

Arley's eyes previously looking ahead of us fell on me, then, scanning my face intently before letting a small smile grace his lips. "He's... one of a kind, really," He admitted in amusement, shaking his own head at how absurd he sounded. "I don't know— he's my best friend. He's got his own issues, a lot of them," His lip twitched into a wider smile at his words. "But we all do, in our own sense. There isn't a person I respect more than Esmond," He concluded truthfully.

I hummed in recognition of his answer, taking a moment to process the information.

"I figured there must be something about him that makes you stick around. You're like polar opposites," I finally said, eyes a little wider in anticipation as I scanned the side of his face.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, mostly just the fact that it's nice to spend time with you when it's nothing but a nightmare with him." A playful tone in my voice, he let out a low laugh.

"From what I've heard, that dinner wasn't too bad, was it? You two seemed to be enjoying yourself."

"If anything, he seemed to be enjoying himself making me look like a fool in front of my whole family all evening—" I cut myself off, then, brows knitting together tightly at the realisation. "—Wait, he said that?"

With a huff, Arley nodded. "You didn't hear it from me— In fact, you didn't hear it, at all," He quickly clarified with a childish grin on his lips.

Sure.

"He's only half as bad once you get to know him, really."

"I don't think I'll ever get to know him," I pointed out with a laugh, though the realisation of that did sting. He was my soulmate, after all. — Even if it was hard to believe now.

"Who knows. Miracles do happen, Amidelle." 

I adore Arley <3

I also really enjoyed writing this chapter hehe so I hope you enjoyed reading it as well 

See you tomorrow. <3