Chapter LVIII

The dagger is a tool, no more, either for noble defence or evil cold hearted deeds. And so what is more important is not the blade yet the heart that wields it. Korra takes the blade into her hand once more, wrapping her fingers around the tight leather handle. It felt like years had passed since she first took hold of this. It was light, it was always light. Kai knew how she liked them made and he got this one spot on. She knew as soon as he gave it to her in the workshop that day.

Talented, skillful work. Korra traced her index finger across the design on the blade, stopping at the Guild crest. This was it's last fight before she must despose of it. Not one piece of the Red Lotus will be living after today. Not one. She fixed the dagger tightly in her sheath before smiling at the older man.
"Thank you Sir." She said.
"Are the others equipped?"

"They will be shortly." Hiroshi responded.
"When will you be leaving?"

Korra peered out the window of the office, looking above to the blue sky. It was midday. Early. Too light.
"When it's closer to dusk. We will need the dark."

"Agreed." Hiroshi said. He stood up from his office chair and journeyed  around his desk, extending his arm out towards the assassin.
"I want to thank you for this. What you and your team are doing is a very noble act."

Korra shook the man's hand. She remembered doing this on their first meeting, the way she almost broke his hand by a firm squeeze. Now her grip is gentle, trusting.
"It's my pleasure Mr Sato. Zaheer won't bother you or anyone else, I'll see to it."

"When you return, I'll make sure you're praised for everything you've done." Hiroshi explained.

Korra's brows ascended in shock.
"I'm sure that's not necessary."

"I insist. You earned my trust many days ago. You're risking your life for the people. They'll soon see you how I see you." Hiroshi clasped his hands behind his back and stepped towards his window, peering at the sky like Korra did earlier.

"And how do you see me Sir?" Korra asked.

"As tacky as this may sound but I see you as a Hero." Hiroshi chuckled. It was true though, he really did feel like that was the right title to give to this woman. She deserved a great deal of respect. More than he could give.

Korra gave him another smile, chuckling a little to herself too. It was nice to know that there were other people out here that looked at her differently. That they didn't look at her like she was their greatest fear.
"I am much obliged to you."

Hiroshi glanced at the woman.
"Miss Smith, there's something else I need to ask of you."

Korra rose a brow. 'Miss' again?
"Yes?"

"Just, come back in one piece." he said.
"All of you."

The assassin's breath hitched, she coughed slightly and cleared her throat.
"Yes Sir."

<->

The sun of midday light the pages of the book fluttered in the breeze through her opened window, oblivious to the sounds of the shower or the chorus Asami chose to sing. It was her Diary, without honest words it was just an object. But with them it was like her portal to the soul, a gateway, a map of her journey and struggles. Yet it's her safe place where she could let the words melt from her head onto the page. Those creased pages within the soft leather cover were her elixir.

The noise of water soon stopped yet the slight hums still could be heard. It wasn't long until Asami stepped out of her bathroom, her wet hair dampening her attire as she continued to dry it with a towel. Still humming a high tune, she picked up the pen in her hand and scribbled a few sentences onto the page; trying not to let droplets drip down onto it. It was today that they were supposedly leaving and she was trying to distract herself as much as she could. The idea of Korra leaving to infiltrate the Red Lotus had been playing on her mind none stop. She had to call for the assassin to keep her company last night since she couldn't get one moment of sleep. Once Korra was there, she dropped off into her dreams in a second. Korra had that effect on her and she loved it.