40| Wish

Chapter 40: Wish (Caden's POV)

We explained everything to him. I said to my father what I said to Mr. Tanner yesterday and then Venus helped by explaining what would happen if he said no and how nothing good would come out of it. 

Now we're waiting for him to say something. 

In the meantime, while we could do nothing but wait, I started thinking about this morning. About how good it felt to actually wake up to her for once. About how in love I am with her. About how I'd never let go of her, not even if she asked me to. That might be a little messed up, but we all have some things we can work on. 

"So, you're telling me that either way, you'd be leaving the palace and stepping down as prince?" he finally spoke. 

"Yes," I nodded with a sigh. 

"Then, what do I care? If you're leaving anyway, leave with her or without her, it doesn't matter to me, son," he chuckled. 

"Okay, thank you for taking nearly an hour of our time. We spent so long explaining it to you, you took so long to answer. No problem," I scoffed, standing up. Since we've been here a while, I was preparing myself to hear him say no. I just knew he would say it. 

"Sit down," Venus said sternly to me before pulling my hand and forcing me back in my seat. "I understand that it doesn't matter to you since he's leaving anyway, but Mr. Pierce, won't it hurt you even just a little to know that your son hates you? That too just because you wouldn't let him date the girl he wants? Come on," Venus scoffed. 

"You see, Venus, this isn't just about who he's dating," my dad huffed. "He is in love with you! He wants to marry you in a few years, you realize that, yes? You can see that, can't you?" 

She turned to look at me. "Yes, I realize that." 

"And it doesn't bother you to make such important decisions so rashly?" 

She looked at him. "No, it doesn't bother me. Because I would love to marry your son in a few years. And whether you like it or not, we probably will get married in a few years. But you should know, your decision now directly affects whether you'll be getting that invite or not. Now, please, without taking too long, just tell us," she rambled. 

I would propose right now. 

"And for fuck's sake, stop pretending to hate me just because your father asked you to hate every Princeton that comes into this world," she groaned before her eyes widened as she realized what she said. "Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so..." 

"Disrespectful?" he prompted. 

"Blunt," I corrected. "But that was definitely the right way to say it." I squeezed her hand. "Now hurry, please. We have somewhere to go," I shrugged, leaning back in the chair. 

"Your father really agreed?" he asked her. 

"That shouldn't affect your decision," I said. 

"Fine," he huffed, rolling his eyes. "You can be with her and you can step down as prince. If that's what you really want." 

I blinked in surprise. "What?" 

"What do you mean 'what?' Ultimately, every father just wants his son to be happy, okay? And I know I don't... show much affection to you or to Axel, but that doesn't mean I don't wish you the best. Prince or not, with a Princeton or not, I wish you the best and happiness with it," he shrugged, fixing the pens on his desk. He's a little bit of a perfectionist but clearly, he's just doing it to avoid looking at me right now. 

"You mean that?" I asked. 

"Yes! Do you want me to change my mind?" 

Venus and I exchanged our surprised looks.