Chapter 15: Deep Conversations with Hange

(Y/N) raced her mind, trying to come up with an excuse. "Huh? Did I say she? I meant he...for Moblit."

Hange lifted herself up on one arm and stared at (Y/N), curiously. "How'd you forget Moblit was a he?"

"I didn't, I was just...it just..." (Y/N) could feel panic rising up her throat. She wanted to run, to leave the area, and run to her bed. But she couldn't leave Hange here. She couldn't tell Hange either. She wasn't ready.

"Hey," Hange sat up completely and placed a hand on (Y/N)'s arm, "you don't have to say anything, it's okay."

(Y/N) looked at her hands, chest heaving. How was she supposed to turn this conversation around? If Hange found out that she liked her, their relationship would never be the same. Hange might even kick her off the squad for inappropriate feelings. She couldn't bear the thought of not seeing Hange anymore. Even if she would never be able to romantically be with Hange, she still wanted to be her friend. Hange's smile...her contagious laugh and her vibrant personality. (Y/N) couldn't live without her.

"It's okay if you like girls, (Y/N)."

(Y/N) finally looked up to meet Hange's eyes. Hange was looking at her kindly, a soft smile on her lips. (Y/N) had a feeling that Hange had pieced the story together, but she was unsure of how much Hange knew exactly. Did Hange know that (Y/N) loved her? No, she couldn't...otherwise she wouldn't be acting so nice right now.

"I...I don't have a crush on Moblit," (Y/N) cleared her throat. "The only reason why I acted flustered around him was because he had figured out that I liked a girl."

"I see...why didn't you just tell me that? Did you think I would judge?" Hange asked, hurt.

"No, no! It was about me. I was embarrassed. I've never liked a girl before and I had thought that I was attracted to only men. When I first met this girl, I was intrigued...but then it developed into a bigger crush. It scared me," (Y/N) admitted.

"Love is love, (Y/N)! The heart goes where it wants to," Hange nudged (Y/N)'s shoulder.

"I know...I never thought I would be questioning my sexuality at this age," (Y/N) chuckled dryly.

"How did Moblit find out? I'm curious."

"He saw me staring at her. Later that day, when you asked about it, I panicked and dragged him into this," (Y/N) blushed. She realized she was in a very awkward situation. Never had she thought that she would be confessing her love to Hange in this way.

"Aw, poor Moblit, I've been teasing him mercilessly! Are you more confident with it now? If you don't want to talk about it, we really don't have to."

"I'm slowly coming to terms with it. At this point, I wouldn't care what her gender was anyways, I just really like her. Honestly, the only thing I'm terrified about is how other people would react, since most aren't as accepting as you or Moblit."

Hange smiled at (Y/N) the wind tousling her hair. She wrapped her good arm around (Y/N)'s waist and pulled her close. (Y/N)'s eyes widened, and she tried to control her heartbeat. She was on thin ice with Hange and one wrong move could send her tumbling.

"I understand. I've had my share of insults and mean things hurled my way. Some people just want to hold others accountable to their own set of standards. Screw what they think! Every person deserves to be happy," Hange grinned and leaned her head slightly against (Y/N)'s.

"Thanks, Hange," (Y/N) said softly. She wanted to ask what insults Hange had been subjected to, and whether if she liked girls too. (Y/N) didn't know how to ask Hange that without raising any suspicions.