5.

Song suggestion: Leather Jacket by The Arkells

-

"Why were you out so late?" I sat on the couch.

"I was just doing work sweetheart." Gran replied as she came in through the door.

"At the police station?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Gran I've told you, you need to take breaks. You can't be working cases anymore."

"You are fifteen years old, you have no idea what it's like to have a job yet. Sometimes you can't take breaks." She walked over to me and sat beside me. "Plus, I thought you and Daniel were going to be out later than me."

"I don't like Daniel as much as I thought I did." I admitted. "He's not the sharpest tool in the shed."

"Good thinking Philly." Gran wrapped her arm around my shoulders in comfort. "If I can give you any advice-"

"You give me lots of advice." I reminded her.

"Well here's some more. A smart boy, is the most caring type of boy. He'll be observant, and detail oriented. He'll never leave anything unfinished. That's the type of boy you want to find."

"Is that what you found with Grandpa?"

"Yes. He wasn't as smart as I was, but he was emotionally intelligent, which is something that is even more important than being book-smart."

"Nothing is more important that being smart." I scoffed.

"I think you'll grow to learn that that's not always the case honey."

-

"How far do we have to go?" I asked as Horan sped down the interstate.

"An hour. We're catching up to their site." He had his hands gripping the wheel. "Do you have your gun and badge?"

"Of course I do. I'm not stupid."

"Just making sure."

"Well you don't have to."

"Can we just not fight right now Carter?" He snapped at me. "This is an important case."

"I know that." I checked Horan's phone as the stolen car kept moving. "Is there any way we could speed this up?"

"I can't without putting on the sirens." He shook his head.

"You might have to."

"I don't know, I'm not comfortable with driving that fast." He said warily.

I thought for a moment. If he was driving 80 miles per hour, which was already speeding, we'd make it to Providence in just under an hour.

"I can cut our time in half. Let me drive." I said.

"What, how?"

"I took a precision driving class. Just trust me." I urged. "Pull over."

He reluctantly slowed the car to the shoulder of the road and got out of the seat. Instead of getting out myself, I decided to crawl over the middle console to the driver's seat.

"Thanks for getting footprints on my seat." He grumbled as he sat down.

"You'll live." I buckled up, and shifted the car into drive. "Hold on tight." I smirked before turning the sirens on and stepping on the gas.