11 minutes

Too late

-Third Person P.O.V-

Tony could feel the worry increase with every second he grew closer. Something in his mind was telling him it was too late, that- that he wouldn't be able to get to his son. 

But he- he had to. This was Peter, this was- this was his son. 

"FRI, how long," Tony urges. It's been too long- too, too long. 

(Please don't forget me)

'1 minute out boss,' she replies swiftly. 

Tony stays quiet, his mind racing with all the possibilities that could happen. But his son- his son was shot. Twice. 

In major arteries. 

And it's- it's taking too long to get to him. Too long- he- he promised he would always protect his child. 

He promised

The building comes into view and when Tony grows closer he can feel his heart stopping in his chest and tears building in his eyes because- no, no he has to be okay. He has too. 

His metal bound feet hit the ground and his eyes never leave his son- his unmoving son. 

The suit falls away from his quickly and Tony rushes towards Peter, a sob trapped in his throat as he looks at all the blood surrounding his child. 

"Peter," he cries holding his son to his chest, "FRI," Tony whispers. 

'I'm sorry boss, I can't detect a heartbeat,' FRIDAY informs Peter, her voice sad and broken. When it comes to Peter, she'll never be an AI.

"No, no, no. Please- please no," he cries holding his son closer, he can't be- he can't be dead. No, no he can't. 

Peter remains silent and unmoving against his dads chest, his chest staying still and his limbs unmoving. 

"Peter please, you're- you're okay, you have to be. I- I promised, I pro- promised. Please no," Tony sobs. 

He pulls Peter away slightly, removing one of his arms and lightly grabbing his sons face. Even then Peter doesn't move and the thought- the thought of his son gone makes his heart shatter into a million piece. 

He can't be dead. 

(I couldn't hold on anymore) 

But he knows- he knows his son is really gone. There will be no more stupid jokes that weren't funny but they would all laugh because it was Peter and he was- no is- so adorable. 

There will be no more puppy eyes that would make Tony crumble under the gaze and give him whatever he wanted, because he couldn't stand seeing his son sad. And now- now he was dead. He can't- he can't be dead. 

For Tony, there will be no more light, his son was the one person who could make the dark days bright again, and now- well now he was plunged into darkness. 

"I'm so sorry kid, I'm so, so sorry," Tony whispers, the tears falling continuously down his face. 

He was too late. 

He was too god damn late to save his own kid. 

(I love you dad.)

(I love you Pete.)