― chapter 48.

❝ but we can still beat the shit out of them if we need to, right? ❞

THERE WAS SILENCE FOR A moment before Ayane finally found something to say.

"Divorce? Uh- wow. I-I never would've expected that. Good for you, I guess?"

Liana smiled a little, sitting beside Ayane at once.

"Ayane, I think I owe you an apology."

The girl blinked, unsure if she was hearing her mother correctly.

Liana continued, "I've been the worst mother in the world to you. I-I don't have any excuse for it but- I was just so unhappy with Ennis and I guess I-I took that out on you. And I'm sorry. I don't want you to forgive me, I just want you to know that I truly am sorry for how I've treated you."

Ayane sat there in shock, disbelieving of what she was hearing. She could not respond.

"And I also really regret not... loving you the way I should've. I guess- after your brother's passing... I was just scared to love you and then lose you-"

Her voice broke and Ayane looked up, seeing tears streaked down Liana's face. She was not even sure if she had ever seen her mom cry.

Ayane slowly reached over and placed a hand on Liana's shoulder, trying to comfort her.

"I understand," Ayane replied after a moment. "I know what you mean."

She paused, then added, "But I need some time. Before I can- forgive you. If you get what I'm saying."

Liana nodded quickly. "Of course."

Ayane withdrew her hand, folding them in her lap for a moment and thinking.

"So have you already filed for divorce or...?"

Liana smiled thinly, dabbing at her eyes. "No, not until he gets out. Which is in just a few weeks, I might add. I wish he could just stay." Her tone sounded bitter, and Ayane understood exactly how she felt. She had just not known that Liana hated Ennis as much as her.

"But- you know he's going to get all of the money, right?"

Sighing, Liana nodded once more.