Firebolt

Percy

Christmas spirit was thin in the Gryffindor common room. Ron and Hermione had been yelling at each other because of their animals. Crookshanks tried to go after scabbers, which led to Ron trying to kick Crookshanks, which led to an angry Hermione. Now the cat was locked in Hermione's dorm, and Scabbers was in his usual spot of Ron's pocket.

In addition, Harry had brought down his Firebolt, choosing to exam it instead of trying to carry on a conversation with Ron and Hermione. Hermione did not seem pleased with the broomstick. She didn't say anything but she kept looking darkly at the broom as though it too had been criticizing her cat.

Sufficient to say... it was awkward.

At lunch we went down to the great hall to find the house tables had been moved against the walls and a single table sat in the middle of the room. Dumbledore, Mcgonagall, Snape, Sprout, Flitwick and Filtch were already seated, along with just 2 other students. A first year and a fifth year.

"Merry Christmas!" said Dumbledore as we approached the table. "As there are so few of us, it seemed foolish to use the house tables... Sit down, sit down!"

The four of us headed toward the end of the table and sat down awkwardly.

"Crackers!" Said Dumbledore enthusiastically, and offered Snape the end of the large noisemaker. As the potions teacher took it reluctantly the cracker flew apart to reveal a large pointed witch's hat topped with a stuffed vulture.

Harry Ron and myself all grinned and tried not to laugh at how similar the hat was to the one that the boggart had worn.

A few minutes after we started eating Trelawney came in.

"Sybil, this is a pleasant surprise!" Dumbledore said as he stood up. "Please sit. Let me pull up a chair."

As a chair magically came up to the table Trelawney looked startled, almost frightened.

"I dare not headmaster! If I join the table we shall be thirteen! Nothing could be more unlucky! Never forget that when thirteen dine together the first to rise will be the first to die!"

"Nothing could be more unlucky" I muttered to Harry. "It's like we both had the grim for nothing seriously." Harry laughs and I almost missed what Mcgonagall said.

"We'll risk it Sybil," the transfigurations teacher said impatiently, "Do sit down the turkeys getting stone cold."

This time I actually laughed out loud and I heard a few snickers from my friends and even a small smile from the first and fifth year.

Once Trelawney finally sat down we all finally returned to our meals.

A full two hours later we finished our meal and we're getting ready to leave. Harry and I had a silent conversation and ended up standing up at the exact same time.

"My dears!" Trelawney shrieked loudly, "Which of you leafy your seat first?"

We glanced at each other as if trying to figure it out.

"I dunno" Harry said

"I think we got up at the exact Same time honestly." I say

Trelawney looked like she was gonna pass out and everyone else looked tense. Harry and I were trying to not laugh.

"I doubt it will make much difference," Mcgonagall said coldly, "unless a mad axe-man is waiting outside the doors to slaughter the first into the entrance hall."

We all laughed again and started to leave when we saw Hermione was still sitting.

"Coming?" Harry asked.

"No," Mione muttered, "I want a quick word with Professor McGonagall."

"Probably trying to see if she can take any more classes," yawned Ron as we made our way into the entrance hall which was void of mad axe-men.

When we got back to the Gryffindor common room Harry once again sat there an admired his new broom along with Ron. I thought about going up to the dormitory and calling mom but I figured Harry would want to thank her and I would feel bad leaving Ron out here alone. So instead I sat down with the book Hermione had given me.

It was a little while till Hermione returned accompanied by Professor McGonagall.

McGonagall walked over to Harry and Ron while Hermione quickly sat down next to me and hid her face in the first book she could fine.

"So that's it, is it?" Said McGonagall staring at the Firebolt. "Miss Granger had just informed me that you have been sent a broomstick, Potter."

Harry and Ron looked at Hermione accusingly and I could see how red her cheeks were behind the book.

"May I?" McGonagall asked, but didn't wait for an answer before grabbing the broom. She examined it carefully for several moments. "Hmm. And there was no note at all, Potter? No card? No message of any kind?"

Harry just shook his head.

"I see... Well," McGonagall paused as if she really did not want to finish the sentence, "I'm afraid I'll have to take this."

"What?!" Harry Ron and I all exclaimed as we jumped up.

"It will need to be checked for jinxes," the professor explained. "Of course, I am no expert, but I dare say Madam Hooch and Professor Flitwick will strip it down-"

Ron cut her off. "Strip it down???"

"It shouldn't take more than a few weeks," she said calmly. "You will have it back if we are sure it is jinx-free."

"And what if it's not Professor?" I ask. The others all turn to me. Before she could respond I continue. "If it isn't jinx-free and he doesn't get the broom back then what will Harry just have to ride a school broom until he can order a new one? Surely you know that he won't be able to outfly any other seeker on the old school brooms. Even a flyer as good as Harry couldn't do that."

McGonagall paused. Her love for quidditch and her house pride momentarily causing her to waver. She sighed, "That may be Potter but I would rather loose every other game this season than let Harry fly this broom before I'm completely certain that there are no jinx's on it. Given that he's almost died once from a jinxed broom I feel that you will all understand my concern. I shall keep you informed."

And before any of us could get in another word McGonagall took the broom and left.

Harry flopped back down onto the ground with a groan and put his arm over his face. I sighed and sat down next to him.

Ron however turned to Hermione. "What did you go running to McGonagall for?!"

Hermione threw down her book (still pink in the face) "Because I thought- and Professor McGinagall agrees with me- that the broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Balck!"

And with that Hermione stormed out of the room.

Ron stood there shocked as if he'd been slapped in the face.

"She's got a point you know" I said to him.

"Oh no not you to!" He said dramatically.

"Look man I wanted Harry to get to use the broom as much as you (you did see me try and guilt trip her right???) but Hermione as usual has a point. And I for one would rather the broom get taken than for Harry to die on the quidditch pitch."

"I would really like just one quidditch game where nothing was trying to kill me" Harry said from his place on the floor.

Yo I'm alive

Next chapter will be patronus's

Yeah please tell me what you think!

Peace