54. homicidal maniacs

My breathing came in rapid bursts as I clung tightly to the gun in my hands. My knees were pulled up to my chest as I pressed my back into the wall behind me, trying to clear my head that was becoming increasingly hazy.

After Murphy had free me from my restraints using the scalpel, the two of us had taken the guns and made a run for it. I wasn't entirely sure what our next move was at this point. 

"You're okay." Murphy muttered from around the corner where he was sitting. I could tell by his tone that he was talking to himself. "They're all crazy. You're okay."

"John?" I questioned, my voice shaky and hesitant. 

"What?" he demanded, his voice harsh which caused me to jump slightly. 

I couldn't see him from where I sat, each of us taking separate sides of the storage container we were hiding behind.

"Are you going to kill me?" I wondered, my grip on the gun subconsciously tightening. "Is that why you took me out here?"

"No." he assured quickly. "We just need to stay away from Bellamy and Clarke."

"Because they're crazy." I concluded, my brain no longer working like it should have. 

As if on cue, Bellamy's angry voice ripped through the courtyard. "MURPHY! YOU BRING HER BACK NOW!"

Murphy let out a quiet curse, scrambling around the corner so he was next to me. "We can't let them see us."

"Murphy! Avery! Please come back!" Clarke pleaded from down below. 

I looked over at Murphy, my eyes wide as I pushed my lips together, terrified to make a sound. What were they going to do when they found us.?

Slowly, their footsteps faded away and Murphy and I both let out sighs of relief. We were safe...for now.

"Stop being so weak."

The voice caused me to jump. It sounded as if it were directly in my ear, rather directly in my mind. 

"What did you just say?" I whispered as I stared at Murphy, looking for any sign that it was him who spoke. 

He wore a look of confusion. "I didn't say anything."

"Yes." I maintained adamantly. "You did."

"No." he answered firmly, looking down at his gun. "I didn't. But it doesn't matter, we have a task to do."

"A task?" I repeated, unsure of what he was talking about. "What do you mean?"

Murphy ignored me as he pushed himself to his feet, pulling his gun up with him. "They need to be stopped." he muttered, looking through the scope. 

My eyes widened as I scrambled to my feet, trying to push the gun out of his hands. "We're not killing them!" I almost shrieked. 

"Relax." he muttered, shoving me off of him. "I'm not going to hit them. I just have to get them away from where Emori is."

"Why?" 

He nodded down toward where Clarke and Bellamy were. Bellamy was currently banging on the door to where Echo and Emori were, demanding that he be let in.

"He's lost it." I whispered, fear creeping inside of me.

"So have you."

"What?" I demanded, spinning to Murphy with wild eyes. 

He gave me an unsure look as he repositioned his gun. "Go sit down." he ordered, noting the distressed look on my face. 

I was in no capacity to argue and immediately stumbled away from him, lowering myself down to the ground before bringing my hands up to cover my ears.