din djarin | early morning

i am longing to be married to din djarin; 1k+ words

///

Peaceful mornings did not come often. In fact, you couldn't remember the last time you were aware of the morning coming at all. Days used to be filled with endless stars and passing planets, all beautiful in their own way, but nothing like this. Golden sunshine passing through the shades of a window in a home that was all yours. Cool morning air filling the bedroom. Birds chirping just outside. The sound of the tide of the ocean coming in.

It was your first real, peaceful morning. The first of many.

You hummed, letting your eyes flutter shut once again. The sun was too bright against your eyelids to allow any sleep, and that was fine with you, because the creature in your arms was stirring awake slowly. You watched him move, his grabby little hand locking onto a strain of your hair as he nuzzled his face into your chest.

Pulling Grogu out of Jedi training was the best decision you and Din had made. There were moments Din regretted it, believing that he had truly taken something from his son that couldn't be replaced. Grogu belonged with the Jedi, not with a Mandalorian without a Creed. He made Grogu's life dangerous and prevented him from getting the teaching that he needed. That was what Din had convinced himself. You tried to convince him otherwise. Grogu saw Din to be his father and knew without a fraction of doubt that he would protect both him and you.

You knew that Grogu really just belonged with the two of you.

The arm of your husband reached over your side as he turned. You smiled, feeling his lips brush against your shoulder as he raised his head off the pillow. "Good morning."

"Good morning, my love," you whispered, glancing back to catch a glimpse of his bedhead. His messy curls made you smile. "How did you sleep?"

"I guess I've never actually slept before, because this is the first time I've ever woken up and felt awake."

You laughed quietly. After years of taking quick naps on the Razor Crest in between the other taking watch or babysitting the kid, a full night of rest in an actual bed was something completely unfamiliar. "I guess the last few years have been a little more on the stressful side, huh?"

"Mhm."

The baby stirred and whined. You glanced down and started to sit up as his big dark eyes stared up at you. He rubbed the sleepiness out of them and you hushed him. As you sat up to hold him, Din moved with you, holding you against his chest so he could look down at both of you.

"I suppose I didn't sleep as well as I could have," you said, "considering this little womprat made sure to wake me up when he crawled into bed with us last night. He kicked me all night long."

Din laughed and Grogu smirked. "Is that funny, kid? Kicking your mama all night long?"

Mama. Your heart warmed. "Don't worry. He made it up to me with lots of cuddles."

The baby sat up in your arms and stared at you lovingly. You sighed, staring out the window. Through the blinds, you could see the clear, beautiful day that was forming under a periwinkle sky. You began to map out exactly how you wanted it to go: breakfast with your family at your real dining table, taking Grogu outside to play in the yard and explore, making dinner while your son takes a nap, reading him stories under the stars before tucking him into bed.

But for now, you had this moment, this warmth, and this love, all within this morning.

Din's arms moved around you and he kissed your cheek. The hold he had on you was protective. He finally had everything he was missing in his life. After fighting for his family for months, missing Grogu for weeks, and nearly losing the two of you time and time again, he could finally breathe. That was a struggle in itself --- should he really rest when so much had happened to him already? His family killed in front of him. His Creed broken by his own choice as he desperately tried to save the woman and the Child he loved. Almost losing the two of you was the worst thing that had ever happened to him, and the losses in Din's life were heavy and huge.

"You can breathe now, my love," you had whispered to him before laying down for the night. He didn't know how he could let himself sleep when the two of you were so vulnerable in your sleep. But you moved your hands through his hair, pulled him against you, and told him to close his eyes. "The hard part is over. Now we can rest."

Rest. He closed his eyes now as he recalled what you said. You were humming a song he didn't know to Grogu and the sunshine was spreading across his face. A real morning. This was what he could remember having with his mother and father. He could remember waking up curled in his mama's lap, looking up to see his father holding the both of them against his chest, stroking his mother's hair as the family struggled to fully wake up and start their day.

Those days of peace, long lost to Din as a child, were finally his again. But this time, the family was his. His wife. His son. They were his to protect. And he knew that he would fight for them until his last remaining breath.

"It feels good," he whispered, and you turned your head as he spoke. He opened his eyes and sighed. "It feels good to rest."

"It does," you agreed, a smile stretching across your face. 

"I love you." 

"I love you, too, brown eyes." His eyes crinkled with a smile of pure love for you. You cupped his chin and pulled him in for a long, sweet kiss, before settling back against his chest so he could continue to hold you.

This morning marked the fourth day back with your son and the first time the three of you ever woke up together in a home that was all safe and all yours. The first time the three of you were a true family, complete, whole, and at rest.