55- Scorched Bones

[[I do not own the music in this chapter. I hope you enjoy and please if you do, vote for this chapter. - L RANDY]]

Goa Jager? Alana read the name engraved on the headstone a few feet away. The pirates circled it, for the first time shunning her from the group. Alana stood partially behind Leopoldo, clasping her hands together in the awkward silence.

It was simple with only a name inscribed, not even dates, but by the look and the wear on the stone, she figured it had been there for a while. There was no sign of flowers ever being laid on it, at least recently, but she did not peg this group as the type to bring flowers anyhow.

"Leven, do you have it?" Kazumi asked not taking his eyes off the mysterious grave.

Alana watched as Leven pulled a flask from his small side pouch and pass it over to Kazumi.

"Your favorite, Captain," Kazumi whispered only loud enough for himself to hear as he poured the liquid over the soil just in front of the headstone.

Next, he took a swig, passed it to Leopoldo who did the same, then to Leven, then finally Ivo.

Alana cocked her head at the action but kept her mouth shut and watched on.

Ivo rustled in his trouser pockets for a second and pulled out a gold coin to toss onto the small puddle as his offering.

Leopoldo and Leven did similarly, but Leopoldo revealed a deck of playing cards, and Leven a small vile of sand.

"It's Bizia sand, he liked Bizia," Leven explained to no one in particular.

They seemed to have a moment of silence for this now passed-on friend as Alana stood awkwardly a few feet away.

She watched their sullen features and noticed how saddened this grave made them. Alana then realized it was the first time they ever looked sad to her. Even Kazumi, the relatively emotionless captain, had the look of pain etched into his handsome features.

I wonder who this Goa Jager is and what he meant to the men. Clearly, a lot, I would have never guessed I would see this look on their faces. Maybe he was a pirate as well? Should I say something?

What seemed like a long time was a few minutes of silence for Goa, the pirates respectfully kept their heads bowed to the stone.

Alana had half the mind to ask who this man was, but before she could Leopoldo suddenly turned to her.

"Come on, dear." Leopoldo cheerily said to Alana, causing her to jolt. "While we are here, I want you to try this local bakery. They have a wonderful strawberry pastry that pairs just delightfully with a white tea."

He placed a hand on her shoulder before physically turning her around to hook his arm with hers and began to lead her out the cemetery.

"Wa-wait," Alana stuttered out trying to keep up with the tall pirate. "We are leaving already?"

She glanced back to the others somewhat surprised to see the others following casually, as if that dejected look had never visited their features.

"Yes, Why? Do you have any business here?" Leopoldo joked coolly.

"N-no, I just—" Alana had no idea what to say, but she did know that she was completely thrown by their behavior.

The sudden mood change gave her whiplash, leaving her wondering how someone could look so unhappy to then suggesting baked goods.