20.) The Exhibition

Cal

"There are no heroes

"There are no heroes. Only those that accomplish incredible feats under incredible amounts of pressure."

- Brendan Bigney, War What Comes After

"Cal. Hey, you're testing today." I hear Four's voice call for me in my sleep. I could see through my eyelids the light from the sun shinning through his room and I lazily opened my eyes.

The light is covered by a shadow figure and I rubbed my eyes then I looked to see Four sitting at the edge of the bed.

"Five more minutes." I joked and slowly sit up from his bed. "Here, it's not exactly coffee, but tea usually helps." He said handing me a cup, I smiled and took it from his hands. "I think you should take a look at something. It's Erudite." He said standing up, I nodded and got off his bed and quickly put on my boots.

I set the cup on the table on the side and followed him out to the railing, but we went up the metal stairs.

"What is it?" I asked him as we get to the roof and he gestured me to kneel where he was at. I did as I was told to do and he pointed out to these trucks.

It appeared that some of the Erudite members were bringing in supplies, which was odd to me because this was extremely out of the ordinary.

"What are they doing?" I questioned. "I have been up here every morning and they are always here. For weeks." He responded, I let out a sigh and glanced at him as he watched them being in supplies. "My mother always told me that she wanted Erudite to be in control. Maybe she's using Dauntless, but I doubt people would agree to her terms." I explained and looked at Four. "Whatever she's doing...She's not discreet about it. I mean, they've been bringing computers and these." He said then pulled out a vial from his pocket and handed it to me.

"What's this?" I asked him as I grabbed it and inspected the weird serum. "I'm not sure, but it looks to be a cognitive transmitter." He answered looking at me. "To be injected like a serum." I pointed out and he nodded. I scoffed in disbelief of my mother's work and handed the serum back to him.

"I remember her talking about something like this. She said she wished there was a formula to make us submissive, some way to make it easy to influence the common people." I detailed, he shook his head and put the serum back in his pocket. "They could create an army easily." He added and I nodded. "The things power does to someone." I mentioned and let out a sigh. "And whoever stands in her way, may they be granted mercy." I said then run my hand through my hair.

"Attention, all initiates report for final testing. All initiates report for final testing." A person announced through the speakers, I take in a nervous breath and I feel Four's hand grab mine.