Chapter 16 - So close

Maximus' pov:

It's been three hours since Adelina went out with that moron and hasn't arrived yet. Where was she? What was she doing? This Alex is so fucking annoying. I do not understand why Adelina hangs out with him. At least I know that they are only friends and nothing more. Although Alex is known for his taste in beautiful women, I'm sure he won't jeopardise his relationship with me. One is for sure, he probably have figured out my relation with Adelina. I realized it when I visited her that day at the hospital.

When I saw her, a few hours ago waiting for this moron to pick her up, I was mesmerized. She was so beautiful and sexy. She wore a black tight dress with a denim jacket on and she had left her black hair loose. She was stunning! Absolutely irresistible! Every sane man would like to have her by his side. And instead of being me her only companion for the night, it was that dickhead.

Since then, I locked myself in my office trying to calm down my anger. I was furious. Not with her or this moron, but with myself and my feelings. Instead of kissing and making love to her I drove her away from me. I desire her, I can't hide it anymore. I want her like the land needs the water to fructify. Like the fish needs the sea. She is the air I breathe. She is everything to me. And yet I am pushing her away......

"Why I desire her so much? Why can't I take her out of my mind? Why does she affect me so much? I removed her from my life. I made her clear that she in nothing to me. She isn't good for me. She isn't sufficient enough to be my Queen. Yet I can't stop thinking of her. What kind of magic did she do to me?" I thought to myself.

-"You can say it every day to yourself but you know that it isn't true.  Adelina is the ideal Queen and we desperately need her. Don't be a fool. Don't deny the bond anymore" Drako said in my head and I immediately cut the link. I wasn't in a mood for one of his preaches. I had enough of him.....!

As I was trying to calm down, my warriors continued to give me feedback through our mind link. I had already sent two of my men to spy on her since she left.  I know that what I did was lame but I wasn't going to leave it to chance...Adelina was outhere alone surrounded by various males. No, no I wouldn't risk it.

My guards informed me about her movements and her whereabouts every half an hour. I needed to know her whereabouts. So far, all I knew was that, to my great displeasure,  she had a great time at the restaurant from which she left a few minutes ago. I do not know why it bothers me so much that she has fun with others. Why do I even care?

-" Alpha, they are heading towards the city center" one of the warriors mind linked me again.

-"Where are they going now?" I wondered. I knew that in the city center there were many night clubs. I hope this moron Alex not to take her there..... Several minutes passed when my men confirmed that Adelina and her friends arrived at one of the most famous clubs in the town. The thought of Adelina drinking and dancing  in that tiny black dress surrounded by several unmated males made me furious! I couldn't leave her alone there. This fool would flirt around and she would be completely vulnerable to any wanna-be lover. I had to do something and fast..... I grabbed my car keys and my phone and headed to the garage. At the same time, I mind linked my warriors to keep a close eye on her and to intervene only if anything bad happens to her. As I descended the stairs I heard a female voice behind me.

-"Maximus my love, where are you going?" Jina asked me in an alluring way that lately I found annoying and repulsive.

-"I have work to do," I told her coldly and left. I did not even turn to look at her. I do not know why but lately I can't stand her presence. She looks so desperate to me with all these stupid grimaces and love tricks. The way she falls on me with her body really disgusts me.

I got in the car and started the engine. As I was driving, one of my men mind linked me again that Adelina got out of the club with a high ranked werewolf of another pack. According to him, he was either an Alpha or a Beta.

-"Don't lose her from your sight" I ordered and accelerated more.

 -"How could she? She is my mate!" I told myself. I am not gonna lose my mate from another Alpha.

-"Α mate you hurt at every occasion and treat her disparagingly" Drako intervened scolding me.

-"Shut up. You don't know" I told him back.

-"I don't know what? Am I lying Maximus? You were the one who treated her so badly. You are the one who played with her emotions and fooled her.  You were the first who cheated on her. What did you really expect her to do?" Drako commented again annoying me more.

I forced him to go to the back of my head. Right now the last thing I wanted to hear was his sermons. I knew he didn't want to be ignored, but I wasn't willing to tolerate his arrogance even if I knew that he was partialy right.

After several excruciating minutes I finally arrived at the club. I was ready to get out of my car when my phone rang. I took my phone in my hands and Chris' name appeared on the screen. I didn't pick it up. It continued ringing and ringing for several times. I decided to answer.

-"Yes" I answered annoyed.

- "Max I've been trying to contact you at least for an hour. Where are you?"

A few hours ago, I had turned off the mind link for every member of the pack except the men who followed Adelina. I didn't want to be bothered.

-" What do you want?" I answered irritated. Chris is best as Beta but sometimes he can be very annoying with his curiosity.

-"A rogue attack took place on our northern border an hour ago. I have already sent warriors there. Another group of rogues is attacking us from the south right now. Open your mind link for Goodness' sake! Our warriors are doing very well, but I think we need to be there to investigate. These attacks are surely premeditated and deliberate. That's why they happened almost simultaneously. I'm heading south as we speak."

- "You know I do not believe in coincidences. I have already opened up my mind link and I am heading towards the northern borders. Who is in charge there?" I asked.

- "Demetrio and at the South Leopold " Chris responded.

-"You always guess my next question and what is more you manage to answer it" I told him proudly.

-"That's why I am your Beta man" he told me cockily.

-"Well Beta let's kick some asses. Keep me informed as I will" I told him and cut off the mind link.

The issue with Adelina has to wait. My pack is my top priority and these attacks are very worrying, especially when the Alpha of Winter Woods Pack is here. My instinct tells me that he is behind. For years he wants to become the king of werewolves. His pack is very strong and powerful not like mine, but it is the second strongest in North America. I have to be very careful with him. Better to put some spies to watch him.

I put reverse in my car and headed for the forest. It will be a busy night after all.