5

Your existence was physically draining.

                                                    - Unknown
-

Aris and Edward made their way towards the front of the room at the end of class, again walking with several feet of awkward space in between the two of them.

Ms.Holmes looked at them with scornful eyes as they stood in front of her desk, her thinking over what the best form of "punishment" could be.

Edward internally rolled his eyes at the stupid ideas she was coming up with. Lunch detention, after school detention, "bonding" exercises for him and Aris to help them get along better. All of those ideas required him and Aris to spend more time together, which obviously neither of them wanted to do, so he decided to take it upon himself to try and woo Ms.Holmes into letting them off the hook.

"Ms.Holmes, I am so terribly sorry for Aris's poor behavior today. It won't happen again-"

"My poor behavior?" She asked appalled, "you were the one being a condescending prick-"

"Enough! God you two are absolutely awful! This feud between the both of you is going to be a lot harder to fix than I presumed before, so here's what's going to happen," Ms.Holmes started, Edward using every ounce of self control he possessed to not kill her right there just so he didn't have to do what she was about to say, "every week from now on until the two of you can get along, you're going to be writing a 2000 word research paper together on a famous mathematician. I don't care who, all I care about is that you two are working together outside of regular math class. This could be at home, lunch, or just whenever. This will happen every single week until I see a change in the energy between you both." She finished, her face flushed red with stress by this point.

"This is ridiculous. Why can't we just sit at separate tables? It's easy enough-"

"I won't hear any complaints Aris. Throughout life you're going to run into peers with whom you won't always see eye to eye, but you're going to need to learn to work with them regardless. This will be good practice." Ms.Holmes shrugged, starting to usher the both of them towards the door.

"Ms.Holmes, are you sure there isn't any other way? I mean really," Edward and Aris were both out of the doorway by now as Ms.Holmes guided them out, "I just don't understand why we have to work together outside of school-" Edward was cut off by the door being shut in both of their faces.

Aris groaned frustratedly as Edward sighed in defeat, the both of them eventually meeting each other's eyes which were full of annoyance.

"Well there's no way I'm leaving my friends to sit with you at lunch-"

"Don't worry about it," Edward cut Aris off, "I'm just gonna do the paper and put both of our names on it."

Aris raised her eyebrows.

"And why on earth would you do that? Trying to kiss up to me?" She chastised.

Edward scoffed, just about fed up with her.

"More like I'm worried that tiny brain of yours wouldn't be able to process anything we research, so I'd rather just not have us fail."

Of course Edward knew nothing about Aris's level of intelligence, in fact, from all her witty remarks he assumed she probably was a fairly smart girl, but he just couldn't seem to stop himself from insulting her when given the chance.

"For your information," she spat, "I was personally assigned from Ms.Holmes to help you in trig in case you needed it. Besides, people with IQ's as low as yours don't have GPA's as high as mine." She finished, her eyes narrowing darkly as Edward's did the same.