Chapter 23: Dark Lord and Lady

For the remainder of the Christmas holidays, Tom and Estela remained in the Inn. Tom spent hours on end reading, writing and researching whilst examining the ring he gave to Estela. Estela spent most of her time doing the same. She, however, wanted to know more about Slytherin. She had always felt a strong connection to her Ravenclaw ancestry, but she was being drawn to the need for more knowledge of Slytherin. It was like she was constantly thirsty to know more about that side of her family, but she could never quench her thirst. She felt as though there was something deeper; some hidden secret that she was missing. She couldn't find anything in the books she had brought with her to Little Hangleton, but she was sure she would find something at Hogwarts, and luckily for her it was time to go back.

When they arrived back at Hogwarts, Estela and Tom rode in separate carriages to the castle, and Estela couldn't see him in the crowd of students who made their way to the Great Hall, eager to begin the feast. The Great Hall was warm and welcoming, and at the teachers' table, bright faces were beaming down at the students who entered. Around her, everyone seemed happy, and were all exchanging stories of what they did over Christmas.

Estela smiled to herself. She had missed Hogwarts, and in truth, she had missed her friends, too. Despite everything they had done. Her eyes fell on the Ravenclaw table where she saw Anthony and Cayra. She hesitated and let out a long breath as she tried to convince herself to go and talk to them, and despite how much her feet rejected this idea, she made her way over. Anthony's coffee coloured eyes locked with her own first, and he froze as he saw her coming over. He nudged Cayra who looked around and scowled at Estela who stopped beside them.

"Hello," she said as Anthony turned around to face her, but did not look directly at her.

"Hi," he replied, his face impassive.

"What do you want?" She heard Cayra ask, immediately detecting the underlying repulsion that laced her words.

"I don't want to fight anymore," she said to both of them. "I want to put this whole thing behind us."

Cayra turned around to look at her, her strawberry-blonde hair shining in the morning sun, and she was about to say something when Anthony cut her off.

"I want to speak to you," he said. "In private."

Estela contemplated the thought, glancing towards Cayra who was glaring at Anthony. But she saw the way his eyes were pleading, and so she agreed, following him out to the Entrance Hall.

"I don't know where to begin," he said, running a nervous hand through his blond hair. "I'm just so... confused."

"About what?" Estela asked, watching him intently.

"About everything. Everything you said that I did. I was so sure I didn't do those things, Estela. So sure. But then when I was home for Christmas, I thought a lot about what happened and I started to remember..." He explained. "Not a lot; just glimpses... Little images here and there."

"What images? What do you remember?" She asked, feeling her heart rate quickening.

"It's not very clear," he said with a furrowed brow and a tone of distress. "But I can see your face... You're looking up at me and... and you're scared." He confessed. "When I see it in my mind I can't bear to see you like that."

"What else do you remember?" She pressed, her heart practically hammering against her ribcage.

"Pointing a wand at you and..." He stopped.

"And what?" She demanded. She was eager to hear him say it - eager to hear him admit to what he did.

"And you're there on the ground, writhing in pain..." he whispered before looking her directly in the eyes. "But I swear to you that I didn't do that! It wasn't me! When you accused me of these things, I thought you were mad! I had no knowledge of what happened until I started seeing these images. You've got to believe me."