Hinata Shōyō's Birthday (June 21)

Song Grade Skipping by Murase Ayumu, Hinata's voice actor!

***

Ai had about a week after Sugawara's birthday to prepare for Hinata's. She asked Yachi for her help in designing a card again, and they made a plan to meet that weekend. The two girls had a study date after their crafting since they were already together.

After, Ai thanked Yachi for coming over to her house. They were beginning to bond over their time spent together outside of school, and the youngest manager was fitting in with the team just fine.

"I hope Hinata likes it," Yachi said as she left Ai's house with her bookbag.

"I hope so, too." Ai wore her wedge heels and walked with her to the station. After all, Yachi was her junior, and it was only natural for Ai to care for her. They were also lucky that it wasn't raining at the moment. Miyagi was well into the rainy season, and walking in precipitation always got a bit messy. "I promised Shōyō a while ago to celebrate his birthday with a party." She smiled softly.

"Oh," Yachi vocalized, glancing up at her. "Will you be able to finish it, senpai?"

"Yes. All that's left is to put the pieces together and glue them. The hard part is done." Ai smiled down at her. "Thanks to you, Hitoka-chan."

The younger girl blushed and waved her hands in front of herself. "I-it's nothing! I'm glad I could help!"

"You did," she acknowledged.

As they passed other people on the sidewalk, she wondered if Yachi liked Hinata, more than as a friend. However, Ai kept quiet for now and didn't say a word about it.

Then, her phone chimed with an incoming message. She looked at it while they waited for the crosswalk.

Hisashi: Hey can I borrow your math notebook tomorrow Ai?

"Is everything alright?" Yachi asked.

Ai gave her a smile and started typing a reply. "Yes. Hisashi is asking if I would lend him my notes."

Ai: Of course. I'll give it to you in the morning.

"I suppose he prefers mine over Kazuhito's," she said quietly, mostly to herself. Ai's notes — for practice and for academics — were meticulously detailed. It was the reason why everyone who knew her had a predilection for them; they were as popular as Momoi's class notes in middle school.
Tanaka, Nishinoya, and Kinoshita would often ask to copy them whenever the teacher announced notebook checks The busy athletes would then fill in the blanks for when they dozed off in class before the collection date. Ai was responsible and was always a reliable source for notes.

Ennoshita was usually also an option, but he would need his notes to tutor Tanaka and Nishinoya. Finals were closing in, day by day. It took time and effort to transmit knowledge to the two in preparation for the multiple exams.

The traffic light for pedestrians changed, and the girls continued on their way. When they reached the train station, Ai touched the blonde's arm. "Thanks again, Hitoka-chan. I'm sure Shōyō will be happy."

The girl grinned brightly and nodded back. "Yes! I can't wait!"

Ai smiled. "Me neither. Go home safely. We should study again some time as well."

Yachi saluted her and shouted, "Yes, ma'am!"

She grinned. "See you at school." Ai waved goodbye to her adorably cute junior and walked back to her house by herself.

———

When practice was over that Thursday, Coach Ukai reviewed the training methods and gave feedback for the day. While he talked to the team, Takeda-sensei also joined them in the gymnasium. The schoolteacher made announcements that all club activities will be cancelled on the two days leading up to the exams, as well as during the three-day testing period.