Chapter 7 Overthinking

Miguel, Eli, and I all trotted down the stairs and saw Carmen and my dad at the table talking and laughing with each other. An older women was tending to the food in the kitchen, I expected it was Miguel's gramma. "Do you need any help yaya?" Miguel questioned as he walked up behind the older women. "Si, si miggy." she replied while handing him plates of food to put on the table. "That's Miguel's gramma, he calls her yaya." Eli explained clarifying who the older women was. "Eli!" She cheered excitedly coming over and squeezing Eli's cheeks. "You must be Ali!" She continued coming over to me cupping my face in her hands. "Muy bonita(very pretty)" She said with a smile looking at my face. "Gracias." I replied smiling even more.

We all sat down at the table and looked at the food in front of us, "Mrs. Diaz this looks great." Eli said with a smile looking at all the food. "Thank you Eli, I'm so glad Miguel has friends as kind as you and Ali." She replied while looking from Eli to me. "Now let's eat!" Yaya announced while picking up the food.

Nothing interesting happened while we were eating, just some light chatter about grades and after school activities. Miguel would send smirks towards Eli and I constantly but we just shook them off while we dug into the delicious cuisine placed in front of us.

When we finished our meals I looked over to my side where Eli sat, he was wearing one of his soft sweaters like usual. "Oh Eli I still have your sweater." I explained remembering the day we met when he let me borrow it. "Here c'mon let's go get it." I continued while standing up. Eli followed closely behind me as I led him to my dad and i's apartment. I curved down the hallway into my room and grabbed the sweater off the floor. I had washed it the day before so it would be clean when I returned it to him. "Here." I said with a smile while handing it back to him. "Thanks." He replied also smiling. We stared into each other's eyes, the moment we shared felt like hours although it only lasted a few seconds. "My mom just texted me, I gotta go." He sighed breaking the moment and grabbing his buzzing phone. "Is that the harry potter theme?" I questioned noticing the song that played when he received the text. "Uh ya, they are my favorite movies." He replied while scratching the back of his head nervous. "It's pretty nerdy I know." He continued while looking down at the ground. "No it's not, I love those movies." I explained. Eli sent me a smile before frowning when he received another text from his mom telling him to hurry. "I really need to go, my mom's going to be pissed." He sighed with a laugh. He started to walk out the door but I couldn't let him. Something inside of me wanted to pull him back. "Eli wait." I called out while grabbing his wrist and pulling him closer to me. His face was inches from mine, "Ali i-" He started but I stopped him by connecting my lips with his. He stood there for a second unsure of what to do, when he finally processed what was happening he started kissing me back deepening the kiss by grabbing the back of my head with his hands. I could tell that we were both trying our hardest to hide the smiles that dared to explode onto our faces. After a few more seconds I pulled away and looked up at him, he looked shocked yet excited at the same time. "Have you ever kissed anyone before?" I questioned noticing shock taking over his expression. "Nobody wants to kiss me, look at me!" He replied almost yelling while pointing at his scar. "So yeah this is my first kiss." He continued trying his hardest to clam himself down to ensure he didn't frighten me. "I think your scar is baddass, everyone's got scars, they tell a story, they show your brave." I replied trying to boost his confidence. 

(This next part is all scars that I actually have😂) 

"Look at these." I said while pulling up the sleeves of my shirt, I showed him my wrist where I had a burn mark, "I got this from trying to take my pizza out of the oven with no gloves on." I started. "And this is from middle school, I hit a trash can with my bike and flew over the handle bars." I continued while pulling up my shirt slightly revealing a large brown and black scar on the side of my stomach. "And these are from a kid on my bus in elementary school who would always kick my shins." I finished while pointing at the bruises still showing on my shins, I had so many more but I was guessing that Eli got the point. "Who kicked you?" He questioned a little bit angry. "Just a bully. Wanna know who he is now?" I asked a smile forming. "Sure, I wanna beat his ass." Eli replied while punching the air. "You know Owen Mcdonalds?" I questioned. "No." Eli replied pondering the name. "Exactly, he's a nobody, F's in every class, no friend's, nothing." I explained with a smirk. "So he got karma, good." Eli replied with a smile. We were having another one of those moments again where we both stare at each other for what feels like forever. Once again our moment ended by the wringing of Eli's phone, "I really gotta go." He said while walking out and waving goodbye. "Hey you forgot your sweater!" I called out to him but he didn't seem to listen. "I want you to keep it, it looks better on you anyway!" he called out in reply, butterflies swarmed in my stomach at his words, he wanted me to keep it.