-58-

Simone, Emiliano, and Luca immediately returned to New York after receiving the news of Jeff's death. About a week passed as the Davidsons arranged the ceremony and pulled themselves together enough to appear in public.

Simone sat in the limousine with Tina, Sean, Ramon, and Selena as they rode to the burial site. Jeff never wanted a large funeral - just a graveside service with his own family, the heads of the families that worked under them, and leaders from the communities they served.

The car was silent and Simone and Sean held their mother's hands on each side tightly as she tried to keep it together.

"I'll be fine," Tina gulped, looking down. "I'll be fine... I've been preparing for this since he got his diagnosis... We knew this day would come..."

"Ma," Simone whispered. "This isn't something one can prepare for. It's okay to not be okay..."

"None of us are," Sean added.

"Jeff meant so much to all of us..." Ramon noted. "Not just us in this car, but to the people outside, his community, everyone's life that he touched."

"It's an enormous loss," Selena continued. "And one worth mourning, Tina. Take all the time you need."

"You have every right to feel everything you're feeling, ma. And pa wouldn't want you to hold back or bottle anything up..." A small smile came to Simone's face. "I remember y'all always fussing about that type of stuff when I was growing up. He used to hound you when you were holding things in - following you around the house and everything until you'd talk it out."

"Oh my god," Tina laughed through her tears. "He used to nag the mess outta me, talmbout 'share your feelings, Tina.' I told him he wasn't no damn therapist." She shook her head and looked up as she smiled and took a deep breath. "Jeff Davidson... always getting on my last damn nerves."

Deep sobs began to come from her and Simone used a tissue to pat the tears from her eyes. "I loved... his annoying ass... so damn much... always wanting to talk things out... and damn, could he talk."

"I will never forget his lectures growing up," Simone huffed and shook her head.

"All that time in his office being reprimanded... he never even had to beat us," Sean chuckled.

"Oh! That reminds me..." Tina said through her sniffles. "During his last few days, he..." she swallowed the lump in her throat. "He had me write letters to y'all. To you and your brother, as well as Ramon and Selena," she said as she distributed the envelopes around the car. "There's also this one... for Luca and Emiliano."

Simone put the letter for Luca and Emiliano in her purse and then opened the one addressed to her, tears immediately coming from her eyes as soon as she began to read her fathers final words to her.

~~~

To my babygirl, AKA co-head of the U.S. Eastern Region,

If you're reading this, it's because I'm not here anymore. I imagine you're crying, but I don't want you to. I lived a full life, Simone. I'll have to admit that it wasn't always a good life (it got off to a rocky start), but I am happy with what your mama and I made of it.

I got to watch you grow up from a newborn to a rebellious 16-year-old who didn't want any part in this life. While I can't lie that it hurt to see you go, I also felt a little bit of pride in the bravery you showed in being honest with us choosing to do life your way.

And then I had the honor of seeing you return and transform into the woman you were always meant to be over the past 18 months: Simone Davidson. Tenacious. Strategic. Don't. Take. No. Shit.

Just like your mama, but in your own way.

~~~

Simone swallowed and wiped her tears away before folding the letter back up and tucking it into her bag.

When they saw from the windows that the rest of the families were there, the Davidsons, Ramon, and Selena exited the limousine. Luca and Emiliano approached them first when they came out, first hugging Tina and then dapping up Sean while they gave their condolences. When they reached Simone, they each pulled her into tight hugs and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"We'll be right behind you the whole time, love," Emiliano assured her.

Unable to get out any words, Simone sniffled and handed her men the letter from her father before following the rest of the group. Luca and Emiliano looked at the envelope curiously before Luca put it in his suit jacket.

Everyone went to line up beside Jeff's grave and begin the ceremony. Simone remained at her mother's side while Luca and Emiliano were behind them. Tina stepped forward to deliver the eulogy, fighting back tears the entire time. Sobs and sniffles sounded through the rest of the crowd as she went on talking about Jeff's life and legacy.

"I know Jeff was dear to all of us... and I know that some of y'all liked him better than my mean ass," she quipped, trying to break some of the tension at the ceremony and lighten the mood. "He was always the diplomat and that played a big role in bringing peace to our region. Even as time goes on, I know his memory will endure..." Tina went on for several more minutes talking about Jeff's impact in the region before finally concluding her remarks. "Anyway, Jeff made me promise not to make this too long, because despite that man's love for talking, he hated drawn out speeches. He did have one dying with for this 'group' of ours, though, and that was to maintain this peace for as long as we can. Right now, we are one of the most powerful 'groups' in the world and it can only stay that way if we remain united."

Once Tina finished the eulogy, she watched with tears running down her face as her love's coffin was lowered into the ground. She took the shovel and laid the first bit of dirt over it, and Sean and Simone followed. After that, Ramon, Selena, the Rossis, and the other family heads placed dirt on Jeff's grave. The funeral staff were finishing up the burial and attendees slowly began to trickle out after paying respects to the Davidsons.

Suddenly, the sound of rapid popping went off and the people at the ceremony scrambled, ducking behind tombstones and diving to the ground.

Sean looked around urgently, trying to keep his head low. "It's Santiago!" he shouted.

Just as Simone was taking cover, Emiliano yanked her behind him and she let out a bloodcurdling scream when she saw his body hit the ground.

Immediately falling to her knees, Simone noticed that blood was pouring from his neck and already, he was unresponsive with a blank look in his eyes. "Em!" She cried, the tears coming from her eyes as she used the tissues from her purse to stop the bleeding. "Em! Stay with me!"

She then heard loud pops from just above her and saw Luca's face was an almost unnatural red and veins were protruding from his neck. His arm was extended and he shot in the direction where the bullets had come from. Assuming he was shooting at Santiago, Simone turned her attention back to Emiliano, who appeared to no longer be breathing.

Luca looked down at the two of them with a tightness in his chest and a pain he hadn't felt since his mother's death began to come over him.

+++

A/N: Thanks so much for reading! I did a double update today!