Chapter Sixteen: The Prisoner

Chapter Sixteen: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖗𝖎𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖗.
word count; 7.1k

 A frustrated sigh escaped your lips as you unsuccessfully made your utmost effort to lull the Child in your arms to sleep, poorly resulting in him attempting to wriggle out of your grasp and refusing to even close his eyes. The ship was on the verge of, unfortunately, reaching your destination, and it wasn't exactly the safest place to arrive at, let alone with a child. Your circumstances were nearly identical to the situation in which the Razor Crest inevitably needed to land on Tatooine and the Child had yet to fall asleep, but there was a difference here. A drastic difference, because you were stopping by someplace dangerous for a kid — a spaceport, where you and the Mandalorian will be receiving your latest job.

What the job will contain, you had no clue. But you desperately needed the Child to doze off, even if it were for a short amount of time. You weren't going to risk him out in the open, where absolutely anyone there could easily identify him. However, he didn't seem to have even one drop of tiredness in him, so the chances of that were slim.

You recognized the conspicuous commotion when the ship landed — there was a certain hiss as its legs retracted and placed themselves over the ground, or in this case, floor. The constant rumbling of the engines below ceased, indicating nothing other than the Crest powering off. Subsequently, the heavy, unmistakable thumping of Din's footsteps above in the cockpit filled your ears,  before seconds later watching as his armored figure descended down towards the hull. Spinning around, he faced you and the still wide-awake infant in your arms. Upon the sight, he shrugged his broad shoulders, stating, "We're here."

Releasing a thwarted puff of breath, you stepped closer to the Mandalorian with a shake of your head. "Still no luck. He doesn't seem to be going down anytime soon."

The Child giggled upon your words, as if he understood the conversation was focused on him. Maybe he did. He was fifty-years-old after all, and he was bound to have picked up a bit of Galactic Basic, despite his inability to speak due to his young age. Perhaps he even picked up on your urgency, and decided he oughta play around with you instead of following along with your suggestions. That little womp rat...

Nevertheless, he's your little womp rat.

"Try a little more, he's probably just fighting it on purpose."

"Wouldn't be surprised about that." You narrowed your eyes towards the kid's direction, earning a toothy smile from him. Shaking your head, you directed your gaze towards Din again. "I'll try, but I've been at this for a while, so... no promises."

With a curt nod, he turned from you and headed towards the ramp. "Be back in a few."

You halted him before he could stepped any further, a hand gently reaching up and grasping his forearm. His helmet whirled straight towards you, and your succeeding words were spoken with a hint of concern intended solely for the Mandalorian. "Careful with that Ran guy. I don't trust him, especially knowing he's a criminal."